1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power Amp Questions

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by Brad_Porter, Sep 13, 2002.

1. Brad_Porter

Brad_Porter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Denon 3802 and pretty much an M&K speaker set-up.

Question is, if I have the money, and I want to add a bit more oomph to my sound (NOT more loudness necessarily) is ‘power amping’ the right way to go.

Also, can a Denon 3802 be happily partnered with a power amp? If so, any recommendations?

Questions, questions, questions......:)

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    Hi Brad

Got a similar post going my myself. Your Denon can be used with Power Amps (via its Pre-Outs). How much you want to spend is up to you. Top choices of Power Amps are Bryston, Rotel, TAG etc Usually available in various configurations : Monoblock (1 channel), 2 channel, 3 channel, 5 channel and with various power ratings.

I´m pondering the benefit of either power amps or a processor but the power amp route is looking more likely.:)

cheers

3. Brad_Porter

Brad_Porter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Jase,

I was looking at the 200W Roltel RMB-1095. Around £1795. I belive this is a 5 channel amp.

The questions is, what does this do to my denon? Does it just make it the processor while the power amp handles the power or does the 105W in the denon play any part in it??

Still more questions.

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    Good amp the Rotel.:)

Basically, your Denon will act as a Processor and its internal amps will be redundant apart from the Surround Back channels (if you use these). The Rotel provides the grunt for the five main channels. Just connect the Denon to the Rotel via 5 phono leads, set your channel levels and away you go.:)

5. Brad_Porter

Brad_Porter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Jase,

Will there be any quailty downgrade by using phonos (to connect amp to power amp) rather then the optical link currently used at the moment?

6. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    Don´t forget the Denon is processing the digital signal from the dvd player (via optical or coaxial) and then sends the resulting analogue signals (via the phono leads) to the power amps and then onto your speakers.

7. Brad_Porter

Brad_Porter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    errrr. yeah.......i new that jase......:)

Cheers Mate

8. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Brad_Porter, which M&K speakers are you using? the reason i ask is because i have a 1se and a s125 speaker package. when i went to a dealer to listen to a power amp (Parasound 2205) i was told because i have "only satellites" the difference wouldn't be that noticable. they were trying to tell me a new integrated amp or pre/power combination was best for this upgrade. :confused:

9. Brad_Porter

Brad_Porter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dts_boy

You see this is where we need the experience of Jase and the others like Uncle Eric.

I have the M&K's S-85's for my front three and thats really what I want to power.

However, if this is true about it not being worth it because they are 'only satelites' I might save my money.

Anyone - how true is this statement that dts_boy dealers has said???

10. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    dts_boy

What integrated amp were they suggesting??

M&K speakers thrive on decent amplification so I would have thought that the Parasound was the best way forward for your setup (power amps is what I´ve got in mind for my next move).

11. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    I would say thats b0ll0cks! Sorry for being blunt but whilst they are satellites and bass below 80hz is taken care of by the sub, they are still producing everything above 80hz, vocals etc one of the most important parts of the audio spectrum.

12. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    B0ll0cks is what i thought too! the amp they were suggesting was the new denon avca1sr which has the same amps internally, don't they? when i mentioned this, they quickly changed their tune and started to go on about the cyrus av5 and power amps. this is the problem with hifi shops, if they have offers on, they only want to sell you that! anyway, am gonna wait for a while now, the wife sees that a holiday is a more worthwhile upgrade, i have to agree!:D

13. Brad_Porter

Brad_Porter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also agree with Jase here - doesnt sound right - 80hz and below is such a small part of the whole frequency range - perhaps, as dts_boy says, the retailer is just acting as retailers do!

By they way, I gather I just use the sub out option on my denon as the power amp wont have one?

14. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    The only differences between your A1SE and the A1SR apart the newer formats PL2 etc, processors, dac´s etc, is the power supply has been improved. The internal amps are the same. The Pre-amp section has been toyed with as well.

The upgrade for the A1SE puts it almost on par with the A1SR, apart from Video Conversion, Bass management on the external inputs and the power amp assignment feature. Aside from that its the same.

15. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    Yep. Stays where it is now.:)

16. Brad_Porter

Brad_Porter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Jase - I now just have to find a way to fund the new parts.....:)

17. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

True, but that's where most of the power is as well!

Can't help with whether a power amp will make that much difference for you - only an AB demo will really tell you that IMO.

Which subwoofer are you using?

18. Charlie Whitehouse

Charlie Whitehouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bear in mind that middle C on a piano is around 256Hz. There are a lot of notes crammed into the frequency range below this. The bottom octave and a half of a piano is all below 80Hz. Numerically, it may be a small part of the spectrum but there is a lot of musical information in there. ;)

19. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    Mind you, if you have a decent sub taking care of stuff below 80hz, the power amps in theory should make light work of all info above.

MikeK

Brad has an M&K V125 sub.

20. Brad_Porter

Brad_Porter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

I have a V-125 (thanks for answering for me Jase, starting to fall asleep at work. AVForums is the only thing keeping my awake :D )