• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

Power amp query

rcracer

Standard Member
I am looking to improve the sound I get while playing CDs on my system, I used to have an Audiolab 8000A before moving toward the AV set up and prefered the sound that that provided. Current system is:
Marantz NR1605 AV receiver
Monitor Audio BX6 floorstanders
Mratntz CD6004
Would it be worthwhile, assuming its possible, to include a power amp from the receiver to the BX6s, it is my intention to expand to a 5.1 system later on but listen to a lot of music and thats my first priority.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Yes, you can add a power amp to the NR1605. The receiver has front pre outs for the left abd right audio channels. It would be debatable as to what the actual benefits would be? With the speakers in question and the signal associated with the receiver then spending too much on a 2 channel power amp may be ill advised. The potential to imprive the audio will be marginal. You'd probably get better value for your money by looking at slightly better speakers?

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom