Power amp or speakers?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Joelsim, May 8, 2007.

1. Joelsim

Joelsim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I was hoping some of you could help me plan my next stage on sound domination in my living room.

I have an Arcam 7 CD and amp (and an 8 Tuner) played through Linn Index LS120s on Ku Stones. The system also benefits from Furukawa speaker cable, a ISOS interconnect, a shielded mains cable and a Tacima mains block of 6 plugs.

I listen to all types of music, every day, anything from Fleetwood Mac and The Beautiful South to James Lavelle and Seb Fontaine. Vocals are important to me and I love the way that my system provides a huge amount of detail. What I'm looking to get next is just slightly more warmth and involvement in what is a reasonably small room of about 4m x 3m with wooden Victorian floorboards.

As I see it I could buy a power amp or I could upgrade the speakers. Does anyone have a view on this? If so what would you recommend?

Thanks

Joel

2. RossFlet

RossFlet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    If that was the choice, I'd look at the speakers first. If you Google your xurrent speaker name you will see a few comments (one by you) on the Index and comparisons made with other Linn speakers. There's nothing wrong with the Arcam, apart from its advancing years but the size of your room will not allow large speakers. I get the feeling that Linn owners (like Naim) go for a complete set-up and they believe this gives the best result.

If you are determined to stay with the Arcam, perhaps you should post your question on the Arcam owners forum. Certainly you will see PMC as a preferred match and I have had good success with an Arcam driving Proacs. The small end Dynaudios might also be worth a listen if finances permit.

Ross

3. Joelsim

Joelsim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I was looking at Monitor Audio Bronze B2 or B5, the latter of which is probably too big for now but I'm planning to move somewhere bigger in a year or so - then I suppose I could get an Arcam solo to go with them.

Oh I don't know what to do!:D

4. RossFlet

RossFlet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Unless what you have now sounds truly awful - do nothing - and knowing the quality of the gear you have, I doubt this is the case. Whatever you do will cost money so you need to plan carefully. Tne MAs might sound OK but are they a huge improvement on what you already have? Don't get caught with a dose of "upgrade-itis" If you are going to make a change (upgrade) make it a good one - but if you are moving house in the near future, why bother? What you have now may sound better in the new place (or worse). Most people forget about room acoustics which play a very sunstantial role in what you hear. Sorry about the sermon but I think these matters are important and our hobby is hardly cheap.

Ross