1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power Amp Or Not?

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by bass007, Jul 14, 2004.

1. bass007

bass007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Hi, I'm thinking of upgrading, I have a Onkyo THX 898 7.1 Recievr with M&k K series speakers, which the onkyo drives very well. Thinking of getting a power amp first, would the Rotel 1075 be and upgrade? the M&K speakers require some jucie to sound good IMHO. or would I need to be looking at least the Rotel 1095 or the Parasound halo? Alternativley 3 x Musical fidelity XAS-100 in Mono-Block mode for LCR and I XAS-100 in Dual Mono mode for the rears? with this combination be better than the parasound halo?

2. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,481
    I can't comment on the specifics of your query, but, for what it's worth:

Went through a similar path to you to arrive at my system. Had a Yamaha AX1 driving my M&K's, and first bought the Halo A51. Yes, there was an improvement, but, honestly, it wasn't massive. The really big jump was getting the processor. Unfortunately, I had sold the Yam by then, so I couldn't check out the C2 processor into the Yam side of things. (just as well really given the A51 purchase)
    So what is my advice? God knows, but I would look on any step as a path to a proper pre pro combination. Also, it is my considered opinion that ALWAYS buy the best of anything you can afford (second hand/ex demo is always a great option for amps), and at least you will feel you have done well. I bought my A51 with the funds for the processor as well (thinking the Yam processor would be fine), and although it took a bit longer, I now have a system way above what I envisaged when I started upgrading a few months ago.
    Phil

3. bass007

bass007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    hi, I agree, and it makes sense, I'll have think about it wheather its worth it or not. When the time comes I'll will have to audition the halo power Amp.

Did you audition any of the Rotel Amps to compare to the Halo? or perhaps othe Amps?

4. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,481
    Nope!! Would you believe I bought all my kit blind with the exception of the projector, the DVD player and one of the Storms - all my speakers s/h of here, and the amp and processor from crt projectors. The savings were just too good to miss out on at the time. Rotels come up every now and then on the classifieds, as do the other Parasounds. Never seen a Halo though.
    I just allocated the money and went mad!!
    Phil

5. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    I am in exactly the same sort of position.. I also have the onkyo 898 and have just bought a tag av32r. I'll have to use the onkyo as the power stage until I can replace it.. (which also means loosing the pronto with it :( )

I had been considering either the A2000 by Atlantic Tech or the Rotel 1075.. or something like a parasound etc.. though mainly it comes down to how much cash I could raise selling the Onkyo. Secondhand for amps would be the way to go to get more for your money!

Let us know what you pick :)

Matt