1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power Amp or New Reciver?

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by bass007, Sep 17, 2004.

1. bass007

bass007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Hello, I need some advice, I have an Onkyo 898 THX Reciever, and I'm thinking of up-grading. I don't know whether to go the Processor/Power Amp way or go for a top Reciver again. I cannot afford to buy the pro/Amp all in one go, so would I see an improvement buying a Rotel 1075 Power amp and use the reciever as a processor? I'm using the M&K K Series all round, would the rotel provide enough juice since they are 4 ohms? I like a neutral, sound with plenty of attack... any other suggestion on power amps? the system is only for movies no music.

2. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    I went from the Onkyo to a Roksan power amp (5 channel second hand) and to a tag av32r sounds great.. but don't ask me to compare them as I never had them setup together at the same time.

Selling the Onkyo was a complete pain.. you may be depressed at what you can get for it :(

3. cameronl

cameronl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    i use a Halo A52 poweramp with my yam 630 receiver and think its great :)

CaM

4. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    I had a Yamaha DSP A2 initially running M&K 850's and then picked up a second hand Rotel 1095. The improvement was nothing short of amazing.

I then upgraded the A2 to a TAG processor and although there was an improvement in steering and overall SQ it was nothing like the shift upwards I had with the 1095.

5. JurgenNL

JurgenNL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I went from a Marantz SR-14mkII (used as pre-amp and as power-amp for surround and center) and a Quad 606 power-amp for the front speakers to a seperate pre-amp (Audionet MAP V2) and I must say the result was just amazing. I later replaced the Quad 606 by two Audionet AMP II's (monoblocs) and the improvement was also great, but not so much as the earlier one.

Jürgen

6. Peter Baker

Peter Baker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I agree with rags. Changing to a good power amp adds authority, grip, and an almost tactile 3d quality to the sound. If you are mainly interested in HT, the power amp is by far the most important element to the sound. Prologic, and even Prologic II, DTS and Dolby Digital are not incredibly subtle, and it is the quality of the power amp which determines the believability of the end result. If you are equally interested in music, then the preamp can add delicacy and a certain transparency to the sound which is rarely achievable with the heavily processed signal available to HT. The power amp still makes an eneormous difference,and I would recommend focusing on this.
    BTW is anyone going to the HI-fi show at Heathrow next weekend. Perhaps an opportunity for for a meet and a chat? Rags?

7. danny daniell

danny daniell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Hi Peter

I am going on sunday,if you want to meet up for a pint etc :smashin:

Regards Dan

Rags,if you are going,i could use some tips on fine tuning my 850(i have it now) ;)

8. Peter Baker

Peter Baker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Dan
    Unfortunately, I can only make the Saturday.
    Hope you have a good time
    Peter

9. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hi all bass007
    i have denon 3802 reciever and was using with bw cdn1nt as fronts , i tried the linn lk 85 2 channel power amp ,found this gave better quality of sound for av and music replay, but i had nothing to compare the linn with only vs the 3802 so returned linn.

then tried 2nd hand rotel 985mk1 5 channel power 100watts per channel because it gave me more options ,i could biamp fronts,or run 5 speakers possibly add a processer,

found the 985 more powerfull than 3802 internal amps and gave more impact for av, but was too bright with the denons internal tuner and cd replay,

then tried 985 with older mordaunt -short 2/1/2 way speakers biamped using 985 r/l front and l/r rear speaker outputs and this really did improve the mshorts a big step up ,movies and 2 channel.

now have dyns 62 as fronts driven by parasound a23 +3802 find the a23 too bright with most stuff for 2 channel as the dyns are a bit on the detailed /bright side.

but i find if anything the a23 really does seem to work well as regards pl2 played u571 which i recorded of tv to vcr and played back with no sub , and it really did sound good, i have previously heard u571 on dvd by the way.

i have no idea what onkyo or mks sound like though .

10. bass007

bass007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    hi, Rags you said you added a Rotel 1095, thats more than double the price of a 1075, do you think I would need to go that high to see a good worthy improvement? would a 1075 be good enough to drive M&K speakers? Do you think a couple of Musical fidelity XAS-100's would be better than a Rotel 1075? its just if I go the MF way it involves loads of power cables and more units and transformers, sorry for all the questions.

11. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,470
    bass007

We have a couple of offers in the Special Offers/Power Buy section that may be of interest.

If you want to upgrade the power amplification in stages the Flying Mole DAD-M100proHT units may give you the flexibility to go for a real High End sound in small(ish) financial steps.

If you want an affordable 7:1 channel Power Amp in one go then the Atlantic Technology A-2000 is a nice open sound that lacks the 'harshness' most AV Receivers produce.

Any questions please shout.

Joe