1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power amp needed??

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by mjn, Jan 24, 2002.

1. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,960
    I recently demo'd the B&W 9NT at my dealer, along with the matching centre and surrounds that i already own.

And, the detail and clarity was superb on Gladiator DTS, i found myself noticing sounds and noises, which i didn't even know where there!! On the last scene, and russell crowe, is dying, when he puts his hands upon the doors to open them, leading to the fields....those doors actually creak and groan when opening!!

I demo'd the 9NT's with a Onkyo amp and Pioneer 737 DVD.

Question is....although the speakers were good, somehow i don't think replacing the Spendors with these B & W will have the same effect on my system. I feel the Sony 930 is fast becoming the weakest link in my system. So the question is:

Would adding a dedicated power amp to the pre-outs of the sony amp, add some much needed detail and clarity??

And leaving the sony just on decoding and processing duties?

A €3000 bonus will be funding the solution.

2. sraper

sraper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    I have a similar quandry?

Hopefully I will be getting a nice £1.5k tax refund. I have an aging Sony 925 and am wondering what the next step should be. should I go the true seperates route (processor+power amps). If so which should I go for first the processor or the power amps.

3. spikeyboy3

spikeyboy3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same question - see the thread started by me (under work login) titled "Whats is the best upgrade option"

So far ive had the reply of getting Rotel 1075 Power amp (5 Channel).

Spike - going to bumb my post :)

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Probably getting the power amp first makes more sense as you can use your current AV amp as decoder then.
    Sure, you could buy a fancy processor and connect it to the 5.1 input of the AV amp but I don't think this will sound as good as adding a power amp first.

5. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,960
    been looking around and found the Rotel RMB1075 for £600 at superfi....not a price i think....but its mail order only.... :(

6. RC

RC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I visited a Superfi store in Derby just after Christmas, and I think you may find that this is a sale price just for the month of January. Of course, if you don't like mail order, they have plenty of retail outlets: Click here, then click on Store Locator

I think it is wise to go for a power amp first, because the design of these babies won't change materially, whereas processors are going to evolve further between now and when you want to invest again. I think you'll get sonic benefits straight away as well.:p

7. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it may further reassure you, I had a larger improvement when I added a Rotel amp to my receiver than when, later I replaced the receiver by a TAG processor... Of course the TAG has the extra advantage of beeing upgradable, wich I already used for DPLII...

Another item that makes a big difference is cables, I don´t want to start another war, I don´t mean expensive cables, just cables that match...

8. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,960
    ok, i've pretty much decided that a power amp is needed.....just need to sort demo's out which can be painfully hard.

And actually getting hold of 1....only 2 places in Ireland stock them!!

Oh, and convince the girlfriend we need something else for the rack!!

9. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try digital coaxial instead of optical, you should get better sound, at least with CDs...

10. sraper

sraper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Do you know which power amps you are going to try to demo?

11. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,960
    er...if you read the thread you'd see it is a Rotel RMB1075 :)

and as for the digital connection....i firmly believe that the data going down the optical and co-axial, is all 0 and 1's.....but lets not start this argument!! :)

12. sraper

sraper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Doh. Serves me right for using the "go to first unread post" and not noticing it had gotten it wrong!!! missed those few posts.

Optical vs co-ax. hmm probably right. lets not go there!

Just looked at the specs. The 1075 is quite a nice idea. Of course you could go for 3 RB1070s or even RB1080s. There by giving you the center rear when you upgrade to a new processor :)

13. spikeyboyo

spikeyboyo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will be interested to here what you think once youve demod the Rotel as it will be a few weeks before i can get round to sorting that side of things out.

Good luck with convincing the GF :)

Spike

14. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,960
    well out of the 2 dealers i thought stocked Rotel...only 1 did....

So that left me with the Hi-Fi corner, right bang in the centre of Dublin. They stock, and there is a 95% possibility of home demo before i buy, but they ain't got any in stock...and will be roughly a week!!!

If i can't get home demo, i will have to buy "blind" on reviews and recommendations... :(

15. Geoffc10

Geoffc10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use the Rotel RB985 mkII (now discontinued) connected to my sony 1070 and it sounds great. Lots of spare power if i need it. I would say all Rotel power amps are the same sound quality wise, I have not read a single bad thing about them.

16. kev_c

kev_c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If your looking for quality power amps for less than €3000 then audition the Primare A30.5 in Cloney Audio, Blackrock (was IR£1999 before the euro) and the new 5 channel Myryad Power Amp, Lyric HiFi (Stephens Street) do the Myryad stuff.
    Just some alternatives to try as well as the Rotels.
    Cloney recently had a Primare amp 2nd hand, I think it might be gone though.