1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power amp ideas ??

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by Rad, Mar 1, 2004.

1. Rad

Rad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi folks,

I've just bought a AV32r and I am looking for ideas regarding a power amp to use with it.
    I think I'll be looking at about the £600 but this will be in a couple of months anyway, currently I'm going to use my Marantz SR7200 to power the TAG.

Any ideas on what to get ??

Rich.

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    How many channels of amplification are you looking for?.....if you're looking for just 2,some of the Rotels are quite nice,and should give you the power you're after...otherwise,it may well be worth looking via www.ex-dem.com or perhaps ebay.

3. Rad

Rad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hiya,

I will be looking to power all 5.

I'll have a look at that site.
    Cheers,
    Rich.

I was thinking of a Rotel 985MkII, will this power my Tannoy Revolutions R3's??

4. Rad

Rad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Nobody got any other ideas ??.

My budget at the moment is about £400.

5. Laingy

Laingy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    second hand rotel 1075, i just sold one for 450gdp

6. Rad

Rad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thats a shame.

I've heard some good things about the Parasound 1205a, what have you upgraded to?

Rich.

7. RGOB

RGOB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the tag power amp, second hand again. A great amp and upgrade, I know some people dont like it but I think its a definite improvement over the rotel.

8. Rad

Rad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Well folks, I've went for the Parasound 1205a.

Just waiting for it to arrive now.

Cheers,
    R.

9. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +626
    you wont be dissapointed with the parasound, I have had an 855a then moved up to a 2205a which is just awesome, I have only just bought a cinepro3k and hope it is a good move, the parasound was spot on but my new room is 3x bigger so I thought the cinepro may come in useful.
    But as far as sound and muscle goes the parasounds are excellent, I compared the rotel 1075 with the little parasound 855a which is only rated at 80w per channel and it was smoother, louder and more detailed, then the jump to the 2205 was unreal, so if the 1205 sits between these 2 then I think you will be a very happy bunny :D

10. Rad

Rad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Lets hope so it arrives on Monday/Tuesday. :D

11. Rad

Rad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Just waiting on the Parasound.

Mods please close.
    R

12. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    why should they close it ? :confused:

13. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +626
    Thats what I thought, but didn't want to say anything :)

So you got your amp yet Rad ?? what do you think ??

14. Rad

Rad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Oops sorry.

Still waiting for it to arrive, hopefully this weekend or Monday.

Might even be today. woo hoo :clap:

Rich

15. Rad

Rad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    It's just arrived, it's a big thing.

I'll let you know how it performs once I get it setup.

Rich.

16. Rad

Rad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Ok then here goes,

I set it up at 75db on the old sound meter which meant I had to lower the TAG by about -3 to -5db (is 75db the correct reference level ??).

Played a few tunes I know quite well and wow was I impressed.
    The amp is very punchy, bass seems lower than it was before with more power and quicker as well, seperation was very impressive with even my g/f admitting that it sounded very good.
    Highs are clearly defined without being hard on the ears, mids seem more musical and noticable than before.
    All in all this is a very good power amp with a punchy performance so I think it suits the TAG very well, no problem at all powering my speakers (Tannoy reolutions R3's R1'3 and RC which are very easy on amps anyway).

I'm very happy with it and a bit of a steal at the price I paid for it.
    Sorry if this ain't too technical of a review but I just like listening to my music and not analysing it too much, I think this'll keep me happy for quite a while with maybe the next upgrade being the 192 DAC's for the TAG.

I'm off to listen to some music now, I'll maybe watch a film later tonight and let you know how it performs with that.

One question, do you guys think it's worth getting the PLII upgrade for my TAG or is it quite close to the TM5 surround format.
    I seem to remember from my Marantz that PLII was a lot better than PL but the PL on the TAG is very impressive, is the main difference between the 2 that PLII uses the 5 speakers ?.

Cheers,
    Richard.

17. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +626
    Glad you like the amp, I have never heard anyone say that they did not get on with a Parasound.

Can't answer your PLII upgrade question as I don't have a Tag, but on my Meridian there is not a great deal of difference between PL and II.

But then when I am being critical it is normally in DD or DTS anyway.

18. Rad

Rad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Now you say DD and DTS, I seem to remember that was how I used to compare PL and PLII,PL was like DD and PLII was like DTS.

Damm, Now I want to get it :rolleyes:

Doh!!

Rich.

19. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +626
    Just get it then, at least you know you are not missing out any anything that way ;)

20. @Home

@Home

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    Hi Rad,
    I have had the Tag AV32 SP for about 5 Months now and I cannot rate it highly enough.
    I had the 192 Dacs Fitted not long after buying it and can say unreservibly that thay make a differance - So go get 'em fitted.

As for the PL2 - Fantastic is a word that sums it up. If you watch TV and use PL2 it takes TV sound to a different level. So again I would say go get it activated.

As for DD & DTS, hey they are both fantastic - after all it is the TAG AV32 we are talking about!!!

Seriously, there is an eternal debate about which is better, I say it is down to the Film itself. I have got Termiator 2 Ulimate edition DD & DTS. I thinks it is better in DD 5.1.

Blade 2 better in DTS. So on and on.

I have a Belcanto running the 2 Main channels & a Rotel the Rears and Centre.

ATB

21. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +626
    I meant on my earlier post that if I am sitting down and really listening to my system, I am not usually watching tv, it is usually with dvd or maybe d-vhs, I don't use mine for alot of tv viewing, so what I was getting at was PLII isn't that big a deal for me.

I agree U-571 in DD from D-theater sounds so much better than the DTS mix on DVD, and the dts on that disc is superb.

22. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Get PL2 it is good. If you want the dac upgrade, I would get it done fairly pronto if I were you ;)

23. AMCross

AMCross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Here we go again another Tag Rumour come on let us into the secret:rolleyes:

24. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I don't do rumours :)

25. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is actually sad story. He was one of biggest "pro TAG" fans here and now he is using each opportunity to put shame on them. Udo was not correct and honest at all, but it is so when you run business. Simmilar to politics, only not that extreme.

It is indeed not easy to believe TAG will make it after crap they did last summer, but for us, TAG owners, we simply have to hope they will survive.

Time will show, and until then we can either sell our kit or hope the best.

Beekeeper, please understand one thing: the more you repeat those claims, more people will start to suspect, that means less buyers , less business etc. This way you might be helping them to crash down. Do not underestimate power of www.

Kastrup

26. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Kastrup

I am still a big fan of Tag and the Tag equipment I own. A quick search here and elsewhere will find me strongly supporting the DVD32R, AV32R, T32R and even the 100x5r against the masses all very recently. I would not call that repeating those claims you mention and I know about. In fact I would be surprized if you can find any post from me on a public forum either with these claims or repeating claims.

They have made mistakes which are well documented elsewhere and don't need comments from me. I gave given Rich some useful advice for his Tag (amongst other more practical help re supporting his Tag, when no other Tag owner would help). This was followed up by PM as I did not want to discuss any of these issues on a public forum so to protect Tag.

The only time I have made a 'critique' of the Tag situation was with everyone else on the thread with Stuart Robinson 'started'. For the record, this thread generated me the most private correspondence I have ever had. Not from fellow forum users but other manufacturers and journalists thanking me for an honest assesment I had written. I leave others to make of that what they want.

I would also like to point out that I warned Udo that Tag 'leaks like a sieve' re info, something he didn't want to hear a year ago. I still receive the same info from Tag links now. This is all documented on the Tag web site still

My advice to Rad is the same, get PL2 and the DACs asap. For the record, Rich and I are in the same position here so this is not something I say lightly as I don't have the funds to do it :)

'Do not underestimate power of www.' I don't and this is why I warned Tag well before all this stuff errupted. THEY chose to ignore my CORRECT advice. Their decision.

I wish Tag and their employees every success in the future and I have said so in the past but their future is set already.

27. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    all set!

28. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Just had a look to see what comments I had written about Tag yesterday to see how ‘negatives’ they might be as your comments worried me. There were four comments on Tag equipment yesterday.:

I described the Tag digital cable as the best commercial digital cable I know.

I also suggested that the T32R, AV32R and DVD32R be considered for classic status (once they got a bit older) due their stellar engineering. There were several other tuners in my recommendations (but I feel the Tag is the best sounding and I said so on the Tag web site causing a few difficulties with the sadly missed Glenn). The DVD32R was the ONLY DVD player I deemed worthwhile for ‘classic’ status and I think it was the same for the AV32R in AV processors.

Speakers and amps were more plentiful in my list of classics and didn’t include anything from Tag from me. I would hardly call any of this ‘knocking’ Tag in any way, in fact honours don’t come much better from me ;) I think only Linn had more suggestioms from me and this is a company I have some diverse but strong opinions about (most top notch).

Please don’t assume because I like a product, that I will not criticise it as well. Some of the delays and promises from Tag have caused many offence and disappointment. I will always try and give an objective view on anything I post based on the facts as I know them, technical or otherwise. I hate the approach of because I own it it is perfect. I prefer the approach of because I own it I like it but what can we do to make it even better? Just look for my original posts on better DACS and ADC for Tags. This will be the pros and cons everywhere whether it is ADC, DAC design, interfaces, cables etc etc. If I am wrong I will be the first to say so and appologise but no one has said I was wrong encouraging another member to upgrade his Tag equipment and soon. Similarly the allegedly Meridian sourced post on your ‘Tag issues’ was wrong. I said so at the time and was scathing about it but it didn’t mean there wasn’t any truth there, it just meant it was badly handle by the individual concerned. I suspect the post was then correctly deleted. In time the truth will hopefully emerge about all your rumours (not mine though I am probably better informed than most here) and I suspect this post will make interesting reading again, for all the info I might have given over the last year but haven’t out of respect for the technical guys at Tag. These people I admire, what Tag tried to do was inspirational, and scared the **** out many with the sheer amount of money / resources they put behind the exercise for world domination. Hopefully they are just in a recession dip at the moment :)

I think back on the Lexicon MC12 as an interesting example here. I gave it a roasting originally as when it was launched it was a complete dud, software was crap. Not fit for sale, and remove from my demo however, Lexicon worked on this quickly and it is now a slick and refined product. Probably the best I know. The hardware was always there. I was right in my original criticism, should I have not posted to save the minor embarrasment I might have caused Lexicon on the www? I don’t think so.

Sure I dig at companies now and then like everyone does. I also own all the equipment I have a dig at. Sony on principle, Meridian because Adz like them (;)). Tag because I still don’t like the car thing (and never did) and they could have prevented their self anialation last year, M and K because of the agent. Kef becasue the ****** me off big time, RS because they won’t supply things they advertise, Krell because they are Krell, etc etc It doesn’t mean I don’t have a sneaking respect for their quality products. [ I own >14 Kef speakers here] , I do respect all these manufacturers. Some are genuine greavences (Kef) others are light hearted banter (Meridian, Krell, Sony). Other companies I will praise where praise is due. I think Arcam is doing some great stuff at the moment, the new Sony SACD is awesome, etc etc

I think comments about Tag need to be taken in context, they have some world beating stuff, other stuff is less stellar, just like any other company. You take everything warts and all. Personally I saw problems for Tag once I has listened to the Arcam processor  better sound, more features for the same money but I remember G and I were the only ones speaking up for this fine processor on the Tag web site. We were also the only ones to have heard it :) Just because Tag make it it doesn’t make it perfect. I for one prefer the Iscan Ultra over the imfamous 192 deinterlacing module, in fact given the choice I would buy a Lumagen scaler (the ‘premium’ Pro for the money a 192 upgrade would cost in my DVD32R and this is a full blown video processor and not just deinterlacer). The fact the ultra was a quarter of the the Tag price is ‘interesting’ ;)

I think some Tag owners are being over sensitive at the moment as the tide has turned in the other direction. Tag is no longer the processor everone compares stuff to, it is the Arcam and Lex, the Tag was last years model. Sure Tag have the DP which has steadily evolved since it rocky launch into a fine machine but how well is the premium Tag stuff selling in comparison? I have done a bit of research here having emailed every premium Tag dealer in country (bar one who I visited that week) and a few others in a search for a Tag dealer. The results are ‘interesting’.

My advise stands, I have had a long think about this but haven’t changed my mind. Two years ago having a pop at Tag was the pleasure of Meridian / Lexicon owners. No one dared question Tags abilities re engineering, now the same pop are considered on ott comment to a sick brand. The comments have remained the same, it is Tag that is different. :)

Oh my mails box is now pretty busy :) My guess is you won’t have to wait too long :) This always gets people going

The bottom line is the Tag AV32R is a great processor and the Parasound a stunning amp. Good call by Rich and all the other who have this kit.

29. Rad

Rad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Beekeeper,

Thanks for the vote of confidence, and of course the loan of the cable. :)

Have you watched that film yet ??

Rich.

30. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    Nic,

Why don't you like Krell? (I only ask cos I've just got hold of a 3ch power amp of theirs ;) )