Power amp for wide speakers

MusicMan79

Novice Member
Hi all,

I want to add Front Wide Speakers to the setup and I need to get a 2 channel power amp to drive them, since I have only main pre-outs for wide speakers on my Anthem 1140.
I have Dali Fazon LCR speakers I would like to use for this: DALI FAZON LCR - Satellite loudspeaker

I'm new to the whole power amp thing, so I would like to ask you knowledgeable people of the forums, if you could recommend a suitable amp for the above mentioned spekers?

Thanks in advance, MM

Dobbyisfree

First thing to consider. I believe the 1140 can reassign its amps for different channels? If so, you may want to consider using an external amplifier for some more important channels and using internal for the front wides. Have you checked in the manual for this?

MusicMan79

Novice Member
I have considered this, but it's currently not doable financially to buy a good amp for fronts/center channels, but will definately go this route down the road, once "upgrade bug" gets me again :)

For now, I just want to play with wide channels (and since I already have the speakers), I would just need to add a relatively cost-effective amp to go with it...

Thanks for the suggestion though...
MM

Dobbyisfree

I'm no expert but that seems, in cost, a bit OTT. In my opinion, you could spend that on an Emotiva 3 channel (for example) for your main LCR and it would bring a greater benefit to your system using the Anthem's internal amps for your wides. Just my opinion!

If you're interested, you could ask @Mr Wolf kindly to run his XL simulation for system power and see where your Anthem stands at the moment.

Mr Wolf

If you're interested, you could ask @Mr Wolf kindly to run his XL simulation for system power and see where your Anthem stands at the moment.

No problem. If you post up your maximum listening level, speaker distances and sensitivity ratings I can drop these into a spreadsheet model that will estimate the respective power requirements of your speaker channels.

The Anthem 1140 is an interesting AVR as it has 5 higher powered (140W) internal amps and 6 lesser (60W) powered ones. I think other brands will move to this type of power splitting at some point, as LCRs normally need at least twice the power of the other channels.

MusicMan79

Novice Member
Thanks for the offer Mr Wolf, but I'm not looking to add power amp for front LCR speakers, since I know this amp would be way more than 500EUR (1000 - 2000+ EUR range probaby), in order to match or surpass the power of 1140.
I don't need more power either, 1140 has more than enough power for my needs.

I'm still looking for a solution to power just the front wides...

Dobbyisfree

No one was saying that you didn't have enough power. Just saying if you're looking at spending 500 quid, it may be better spent. We were only trying to help and have some banter.
If you have 5x140w and 6x60w amps in that 15kg box, I would eat my hat if the amp could drive anywhere near that simultaneously...
But anyway, I'll shut up sorry.
What about this for your front wides? Should do the job...

No one was saying that you didn't have enough power. Just saying if you're looking at spending 500 quid, it may be better spent. We were only trying to help and have some banter.
If you have 5x140w and 6x60w amps in that 15kg box, I would eat my hat if the amp could drive anywhere near that simultaneously...
But anyway, I'll shut up sorry.
What about this for your front wides? Should do the job...

My caveat with all this would be that the Dali Fazons are not actually particular wide at 146cms - would the OP not be better off spending money on some wider speakers if that is what he wants?

Dobbyisfree

I think you missed a decimal point!

MusicMan79

Novice Member
Hey Number One ARfan - I have Dali Fazons as a spare already, so I inteded to use them.
By the way: what are the "OP" speakers you mentioned?

Hey Number One ARfan - I have Dali Fazons as a spare already, so I inteded to use them.
I don't recall mentioning any "OP" speakers - are they a division of Oppo?

MusicMan79

Novice Member
I see how it is - I thought this was a friendly place for audio noobs like myself, but I guess not.
You're the man Arfan, you're the man.

Jase

Distinguished Member

OP is the abbreviation for Original Poster, the thread starter i.e you.

This Forum is friendly enough but sometimes posts that might be humorous in intention can get lost in translation and appear the opposite.

With regards to poweramps have a look at the IMG Stageline STA-400D, STA-800D, STA-1000D and STA-2000D. The first two have Hypex Class D modules and the latter two have Pascal Class D modules. Whilst they might not look pretty they're not expensive for Hypex/Pascal technology.

kdp99

I have added wide speakers to my Denon 8500 and they take VERY little content. I’d buy a cheap second hand 2 channel amp off EBay for now then push the boat at with a very good 3 channel amp for LRC when budget allows and reassign the internal amps.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom