1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power Amp for the Martin Logan Aeon I

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by ajatia, Nov 28, 2003.

1. ajatia

ajatia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am planning to buy the Martin Logan Aeon I ?

What would be a good two channel Power amp and pre amp for them ?

I am not to big on bugdet.

2. dragonfly

dragonfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    ajatia,
    I am watching this thread, we are in the same boat.
    Waiting in anticipation for replies to your thread.

3. Geoffc10

Geoffc10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i use Rotel 5 channel amps, very good value for money

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Traditionally,Krell,Levinson and similar amps have been very good matches sonically for ML speakers,and also tolerate the often difficult load very well.

5. garmtz

garmtz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have the Aeons myself and partner them with a Lexicon MC-12 and Chord SPM 1200E, but that is pretty expensive (and pretty darn good!). I bought this amp to replace a Parasound amplifier, which also sounded very good on them and can be purchased second hand for good prices.

I have also heard the Arcam FMJ components (integrated) on them and liked what I heard. You also might want to look at Copland and Jadis. Krell and Levinson will do a very good job as well. Do keep in mind that not all Krells are the same and some are significantly better than others.

Try to avoid equipment with any harshness, as it is definitely emphasized by the Aeon.

6. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    With garmtz's point re: Krells,I'd suggest avoiding the rare KST100,and going for any of the old KSA series,incl KMA's,and avoiding the KSA-S series,before moving on to the FPB series if budget allows.

I'd also add my say for Chord amps,which are superb....very clean,clear and powerful.

7. marck

marck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a pair of Ascents and use a Krell showcase amp. Prior to this I was using a Copland (CVA535). Either of these makes would be suitable.
    There is also a new Krell 400ix out (2 channel) - and it is meant to be superb - if budget allows....

8. 337GUS

337GUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I recently listened to Martin Logan Clarity with Copland CD / Pre / Power (CDA822 / CTA305 / CTA520) and it sounded fantastic. I am now seriously thinking of replacing my front 3 speakers with ML's. I will be using a Musical Fidelity 308 Pe /Power.

9. ajatia

ajatia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a lot guys......will consider all the options

10. garmtz

garmtz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Musical Fidelity 308 pre/power will sound very good with the Aeons!! I have heard the combination and it sounded great. Copland will also fare very well. Both have a nice rich midrange and no harshness. The Aeons like this. The KRELL KSA50 will also be a good match, especially in the soundstage and bass departments.

11. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +612
    Reviving this thread a little after 3 months ;)

garmtz how far back is your screen from your speakers? and does this effect the Logans or do they dissapear enough for it really not matter ?

I am moving house and my new roon will have enough space for Logans to breathe, I am seriously tempted to go for them but the above does concern me a little. Also another concern is the layout of the room would be the same as yours but the projector floor mounted and I would be seated either side of it, well not just me, me and someone else obviously ;) but is teh sweet spot too narrow for this set up ?

thanks

Guy

12. marck

marck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    When you listen to the Logans there will be no going back...

Go for a demo and judge for yourself. As far as I am concerned they are in a different league to normal box speakers :D

13. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +612
    But will they work in my room where there is a projector right in the middle where you would idealy sit ?

can you sit slightly off centre and still get a good soundstage ??

14. Ettepet

Ettepet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    There's a very clear drawing of Garmt's HT room layout on his site, so I'd say check it out.

15. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +612
    I was looking at his diagram when i asked the question , I was hoping that he would say that sitting on the end of the sofa is no different to sitting in the centre.
    I would be sitting slightly further apart than he does if sitting on the end of his sofa.

Where did everyone get them from , the UK price seems to be very high compared to US prices, I expect $ for £ but it seems higher than that unless I stumbled on US sites that discount them alot.

16. Ettepet

Ettepet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    He's sitting around 2/3 of the room, as he says it is optimum, I read that on one of the Dutch forums - where he posts more often. 2/3'rd from the wall, and a bit off-centre (side-wise) is often the sweetspot of a room.

Just my two cents, until Garmt returns. ;)

17. ukaudiophile

ukaudiophile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Hi,

The one name I was expecting to see on this thread is Bryston.

I've used Aerius i's, Clarity and SL-3 with Bryston amplifiers and found them to be superb.

Starting with the 3B-ST, evn this relatively small amplifier has the kind of current delivery needed to get Martin Logan's performing extremely well, without the upper midrange forwardness and HF harshness, not to mention flabby bass, which amplifiers not suited to driving the somewhat punishing loads of the ML speakers deliver. Moving up the scale there is the 4B-St and 7B-ST monoblocks, which drive the SL-3's in an excellent wat, to the new SST series. The 3B-SST and 14B-SST are at opposite ends of the price spectrum for Bryston, yet both have the same tonality, the big difference bieng that when going REALLY loud the 14B-SST doesn't run out of steam on dynamic peaks, but I'm talking about hitting 100 dB in room, a very rare event. Even the 3B-SST can drive the SL-3 to truly room shaking levels without ever seeing the peak level lights flickering on the front of the amp. Bryston's are cheaper than the equivalent Krell's, and with the Mark Levinson brand currently MIA with no sign of a return in the near future, the Bryston's stand out as being the obvious amplifier to try. You will have some trouble finding a shop which stocks both Bryston and ML, but I've lived with this combination for nearly 4 years now and I wouldn't look anywhere else.

The other choice would be Musical Fidelity, with even the A308 integrated driving the Aerius i's confidently, with a slightly richer lower midrange and slightly curtailed HF extension, although there was a touch of unease with the A308 driving the SL-3, but the A308 power is a different animal again, and that monster can drive the ML speakers with the kind of ease found with the Bryston's again with this slightly warmer lower midrange and a shade less HF air.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Dave

18. ukaudiophile

ukaudiophile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Hello,

I have one suggestion, GO FOR IT!!!!

You will not be unhappy, and now ML have the new Fresco ATF panels for centre and surround sound duties along with the Montage mains speakers, again using AT panels. The new ATF panels have more in common with Magneplanar drivers than electrostatic panels, but I'm sure they'll sound phenomenal knowing the ML design team. I will have this complete 5 speaker system in my home at the end of June so I'll drop by and give you some initial impressions then if you're interested. One thing I will warn you about, though, is that if you go for ML's across the front, you will want to use ML's all around, as no other speaker will sound right with them, they really are that transparent and open sounding, they make most other speakers sound broken. BTW, I think you'll want a couple more 308 power amps to drive them, the other alternative is to use a Bryston 6B-SST with 3 X 250W to drive the front three speakers and use the A308 for the surround sound set.

Best wishes,

Dave