Power Amp for Surround Channels

Liammonty123

Hi guys, just wanting some opinions on adding this Behringer EPQ304 Europower to power my surround channels. The fronts are DIYSG HT-12's the surrounds are JBL Control 1 Pros. The fronts are very easy to drive (8ohm, 97db sensitivity), the rears are hard to drive (4ohm, 87db sens) and Im currently running everything off a Yamaha A3050, to reference volumes. Would taking the low impedance surrounds off the Yamaha offer much improvement in terms of clarity and distortion? TIA

Rambles

Distinguished Member
It might help, it's worth a try. However, it might be the same price to change your speakers?

How many JBL Control 1's do you have, is it just two so a stereo power amp might do?

The amp that you linked to, doesn't look obviously consumer friendly, looking at its inputs and outputs, and the fact that it has a fan, and is not overly powerful.

I would go for the Behringer A800 instead:

Liammonty123

It might help, it's worth a try. However, it might be the same price to change your speakers?

How many JBL Control 1's do you have, is it just two so a stereo power amp might do?

The amp that you linked to, doesn't look obviously consumer friendly, looking at its inputs and outputs, and the fact that it has a fan, and is not overly powerful.

I would go for the Behringer A800 instead:

I've got two sets surrounds and surround backs. The 75w into 4ohms should be more than enough per speaker. I realise the Behringer is not an excellent amp, just thought it might take some of the load off the Yamaha thats all, not that it seems to be struggling.

Rambles

Distinguished Member
I've got two sets surrounds and surround backs. The 75w into 4ohms should be more than enough per speaker. I realise the Behringer is not an excellent amp, just thought it might take some of the load off the Yamaha thats all, not that it seems to be struggling.
How will you connect it up to the Yamaha AVR and to your speakers?

The user manual is here:

The 75 watts into 4 ohms, all channels driven is peak power. RMS power is 65 watts into 4 ohms, but that is with a 1kHz test tone and 1% THD.

I am not sure it will be much of an improvement over what your AVR can do, it might actually be a downgrade, but if the seller has a good returns policy, it is worth a try!

Liammonty123

How will you connect it up to the Yamaha AVR and to your speakers?

The user manual is here:

The 75 watts into 4 ohms, all channels driven is peak power. RMS power is 65 watts into 4 ohms, but that is with a 1kHz test tone and 1% THD.

I am not sure it will be much of an improvement over what your AVR can do, it might actually be a downgrade, but if the seller has a good returns policy, it is worth a try!
Thanks for that mate, yeah 1% THD, 1khz and 65w isn't ideal, and I'm assuming this is only 1 channel too. Might just stick with the AVR, its not struggling, just wondered if this would be a cheap improvement.

Thanks for the help!

rccarguy

Maybe start looking at a decent multi channel power amp and go av pre power later on?

Conrad.

What about Crown amps? Lots of power for the money. I'm running a pair of 1502s for Atmos. Near silent too. They have some nice options built in too, active crossovers, bridgeable, balanced and single ended.

rccarguy

Probably just need a good quality 7 x100w..something like tag McLaren type amp, not massive amount of power but decent

Conrad.

The nakamichi AVP1 comes up every now and again and it’s a bargain when it does. Pre and power went for £500 recently on eBay.

rccarguy

Since you've gone overkill with subs surprise you don't go overkill with amps

7 of these?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips TV Launch Event, Soundbar vs AVR, Samsung EzCAL and more...
Top Bottom