Power Amp for stereo sound quality

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by Robst, Apr 30, 2002.

1. Robst

Robst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi Guys,

I have a Pioneer VSA-E07 THX Ultra 130 watts per channel amp partnered with a Ruark Vita 100 speaker system with 100W sub.

I am happy with the overall sound quality with movies but am looking to improve the 2ch stereo sound as it is a bit mushy and I believe that a better power amp would make a big difference.

Am I correct in this thinking and if so do I need to ensure that any amp I add is rated at the same wattage as the main amp? The speakers are rated at max 100 watts so I guess that I don't need to go above that.

I would be grateful for your advice on this matter and any recommendations that you may have. I am prepared to spend a reasonable amount to get good sound quality and may look second hand/X demo.

Cheers
    Rob

2. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did the same a while ago, with a Rotel 1080, and the sound improvment was great, later I upgraded to a Bryston 4Bst, and again the sound improved a lot.

So I sujest you try the Bryston 3BST, as your speakers cannot handle as much power as mine...

3. Epoman

Epoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I have a Naim NAP250 connected to my Denon 3802 driving the front speakers and can tell you that it made a MASSIVE difference both in stereo and for movies.

Couldn't tell you what to use to match the Pioneer though.

Im

4. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    IHK - how do you run this setup - I'm looking at doing something similar, but was expecting to have to run the preouts out to my 32.5 and then on to the 250 - are you going straight to 250?

5. gazzerr

gazzerr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone else tried this with the 3802. I was thinking the same about my set up. The music replay is OK but just missing a bit of "oomph"!!

It sounds better or more balanced when you crank the sound up which some of the reviews have referred to but I get complaints from the family so I need something that works e.g. full sound at relatively low volumes.

Would a power amp be the answer:confused:

6. Epoman

Epoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Richard:

I don't have a Naim pre amp (I'm slowly rebuilding my system) and have the 250 directly into the Denon - I got my local Naim dealer to make me up a lead.

Try looking here for an explanation of how to hook up using your Naim pre amp:

http://www.avforums.com/frame.html?...ms/showthread.php?s=&postid=215405#post215405[/url]

Garry: IMO the Denon is crap for music (relatively speaking). Have you thoght about the Denon POA T10?

Im

7. gazzerr

gazzerr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IHK,

Funny you mentioned that as I saw that Unilet had a couple of POA T10's in their sale. However, before I splash out I would like to understand if this would give me what I am after. I saw that the specs for the power amp are 110Watts into 8 Ohms, which is similar to the 3802, but I have read that not only is it the power that is important but the quality of the amplification. I assume that this is what the power amp would do?

What I'm not clear about is the benefit of taking a 3802 and plugging in a power amp or whether simply buying a better amp is a better solution, although probably more expensive now.:confused:

8. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You will never get the same quality from an AV, a friend of mine has the top Denon, but uses Rotel amps for all channels, it is a bit of an overkill, I would say the fronts are the most important, then the center, the surrounds I would leave to the AV for sure...

This way, even the Denon will perform better, less current demand...

9. Geoffc10

Geoffc10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You should be ok using a power amp with 100 watt speakers as long as you dont crank the volume too loud. Ive got the Rotel 985 five channel power amp using KEF speakers (100 Watt max) never ever blown the speakers. What you have to understand is that the power amp is only too powerful at full whack and no one could take that level of sound in a 'normal' living enviroment. Neighbours etc etc. Unless you live in the middle of nowhere!

10. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The question is do you want to be top of the bottom, or bottom of the top.

Would putting a TAG processor in front of your denon (use the 6 channel in) or putting a Cinepro after the Denon (Denon used as a pre amp/decoder) sound better. Both would see improvements but in difference areas. Only a well balance system will extract everything that the components can offer.

Your AV system is only as good as the weakest component, and this is normally the best item to identify and improve first. Most of the time it's the room it's in......................

Rgds

Nathan