Question Power Amp for Atmos Channels

sapper

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi

I am contemplating updating my ageing and now unreliable Onkyo Processor for something a tad more modern, to last me the next few years. It is currently partnered with my Arcam P7 Power amp to drive my 5.1 MA speaker system.

So if I was to buy something like the Marantz AV7704, what poweramp would be suitable for the Atmos channels?

A.

I have the 7703, and have a bryston for my mains a Rotel 1075 for my surrounds, and to drive my Atmos speakers I picked up an rmb1066 for pretty cheap on eBay, works well for the Atmos speakers, worth looking at as an option

Well, if you go receiver, keep the p7 cos they are brillo and use the other amps in the receiver.

That is my plan...

Hence why I need another Power Amp if I go the Procesor route.

Just read a couple of reviews of the 8012...

Almost as cheap as a 7704 and a power amp or even the 7012 and a poweramp...

i'm rambling :)

I just swapped out a Marantz 7010 receiver for an arcam avr390 and been blown away with it's room correction and overall performance.

I am using 3 mono blocks for the LCR and 4 channels built in for surrounds and atmos.

only 2 channels are assignable for surround backs or atmos so bare that in mind. if you want a base 7 channel than additional amplification will be needed for atmos. for 5.1.2, the amplifier can handle that with its built in amps just fine.

I just swapped out a Marantz 7010 receiver for an arcam avr390 and been blown away with it's room correction and overall performance.

I am using 3 mono blocks for the LCR and 4 channels built in for surrounds and atmos.

only 2 channels are assignable for surround backs or atmos so bare that in mind. if you want a base 7 channel than additional amplification will be needed for atmos. for 5.1.2, the amplifier can handle that with its built in amps just fine.
No no no no no no...do not be telling me this.....ive got a 7011...explain in what way its so much better....scuttles off to delete the exhaust from a basket....dagnabbit

An interesting read and has got me pondering...

Esp the 550 though need to research what the differences are between the 390 and the 550.

Power supply and power amplification are the only differences. Everything else inc processing and preamp are identical across all of them

Does that include assignable amplifiers for ATmos channels?

If they both only have two channels assignable to Atmos channels then...

So the main 5 channels are not assignable. the 2 surround back channels are so depending on your layout, it can work.

as i have a 5.1.2 config. I use the assignable channels for atmos. if i wanted to go 5.1.4, I'd need an additional amplifier, even though I have 3 internal channels doing nothing. annoying really

So the main 5 channels are not assignable. the 2 surround back channels are so depending on your layout, it can work.

as i have a 5.1.2 config. I use the assignable channels for atmos. if i wanted to go 5.1.4, I'd need an additional amplifier, even though I have 3 internal channels doing nothing. annoying really

Or I could use the internal amps for the rear speakers and use the P7 for the rear Atmos channels as and when I decide to go that route?

yep that would work no problem.

The avr 390 hasnt got the beefiest psu and been reports of protection cuts with 4ohm speakers driving all seven channels.

If you drive the main LCR with external amplification, I see no reason to buy the avr550 or avr850 really, unless you was looking for a one box solution. thats the reason I went for the 390 and save some pennies

The GR 60 speakers are 6 ohm units...

That's not an issue if your using the P7 for the LCR and atmos.

My main three dip to 3.2 ohms but my mono blocks have no issue with this and neither would your P7' dealing with your GR60's

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom