Power Amp for Arcam A19

Not really, because I want an all analogue system. (Though it is a technology I could imagine trying in the future, maybe.)
Me too. If I understand you correctly that you don’t want dsp eq.

I’m skeptical if Dirac etc we’ll make the sound better, or just artificial modify it...

Listed to the TDAi model from Lyngdorf at my local dealer last year, 2019. I was tolled RP was on. Track was: Tears In Heaven (unplugged) version, and the acoustic guitar was too raw for my taste. But then again I read that RP can’t make miracles in every room. So it’s difficult to tell since I have not tried it in my own listing room.

Not really, because I want an all analogue system. (Though it is a technology I could imagine trying in the future, maybe.)

Aha.

Immensely difficult using analogue x-overs in a three way active I’d have thought. Even just the arithmetic.

Then the trial and error.

Though I’d also imagine it being very rewarding when it’s done properly

Being a slob, I’ll be allowing my mega lazy mind to take the easy way out.:smashin:

I’m skeptical if Dirac etc we’ll make the sound better, or just artificial modify it...
I have heard quite a few people saying it's really good. But my lack of interest is different. I'm just not very sensitive to frequency response and tonal differences between systems - but I am very sensitive to resolution. All my upgrades/mods have been about improving resolution and making my system as revealing as I can (within my relatively modest budget). And I'm not going to compromise that by running everything through A to D and D to A converters just to get something that isn't a priority for me.

Last edited:
Aha.

Immensely difficult using analogue x-overs in a three way active I’d have thought. Even just the arithmetic.

Then the trial and error.

Though I’d also imagine it being very rewarding when it’s done properly

Being a slob, I’ll be allowing my mega lazy mind to take the easy way out.:smashin:
Linkwitz and Riley got it all worked out a few years ago, even down to phase coherence. And Rod Elliott offers a design and PCB for an L-R based crossover. The calculations for crossover frequency are relatively simple, and I have an oscilloscope to check in case I need to make any fine adjustments. Levels will need to be matched by ear with a frequency scan. It should be fun :)

I wasn’t talking about Dirac. MiniDSP make x-overs.

The DDRC HD for instance can take a digital out and split it into four analogue outputs with frequency filters and time delays worked out using REW.

Perfect device for making an active stereo pair.

For an active three way pair (or four way) a pair of them, or the less expensive analogue only DDRC can provide up to 8 seperate channels from a stereo source, again with all x-over points and delays dealt with by REW.

MiniDSP also make plenty of other x-overs to cover just about any conceivable set up.

Linkwitz and Riley got it all worked out a few years ago, even down to phase coherence. And Rod Elliott offers a design and PCB for an L-R based crossover. The calculations for crossover frequency are relatively simple, and I have an oscilloscope to check in case I need to make any fine adjustments. Levels will need to be matched by ear with a frequency scan. It should be fun :)

Perhaps you should run a thread on it?

I’m pretty sure there’d be plenty of interest in your progress.

But can’t you use Dirac with minidsp?

But can’t you use Dirac with minidsp?
Certainly. But it’s not necessary and most of their core products have nothing to do with Dirac.

Personally, if I was making an active speaker set up, I would include Dirac at the end because I’ve found that it adds to the sound quality (by removing a lot of room induced boom and reflections and even helps fill in some high frequency nulls).

Perhaps you should run a thread on it?

I’m pretty sure there’d be plenty of interest in your progress.
I've actually mentioned it in my upgrades/mods thread, at this page in My new Rega arm (and other upgrade tales) (post #164)

But yes, I'll start a separate thread for it when I get started on it properly. I just need to get two power amps sorted out first - one has a fault (which I introduced when modding it, hrmmmph), and the other needs recapping.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom