Question Power Amp Connections RCA

spencerdog

Novice Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing this is a really novice question but I have a JBL Synthesis s7150 amp that I am connecting to a Marantz av7702 preamp. Each channel on the amp has a single RCA (I think) input and each out on the preamp is either dual RCA or XLR. The manual talks about RCA to Rt.RCA cable. What type of interconnect cable am I supposed to use (just a 2 plug RCA to a 1 plug RCA (Y split)) - which doesn't make sense to me. Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• back.jpg
    back.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 283
You just need a RCA-RCA cable for each channel. Don't use a Y cable, as you'll damage something.

http://markgrantcables.co.uk/shop/images/lv61spair.jpg

That is a pair, so you just need 5 or 7 of single cables like that.

Your amp doesn't have XLR so that is a non issue.

Thanks - Except, because I am novice, I still don't "get" the 2 plug to 1 plug RCA scenario. So the two plugs out of the preamp to one plug into each channel in the amp (there is only one plug for each channel) means I connect only the positive end of the rca into the amp and leave the other disconnected?

If you are connecting a 7 channel AV pre-amp, to a 7 channel power amplifier, you need 7 RCA-RCA cables.

1- pre-out from Marantz 7701 left into channel 1 on the JBL
2- pre-out from Marantz 7701 center into channel 2 on the JBL
3- pre-out from Marantz 7701 right into channel 3 on the JBL
4- pre-out from Marantz 7701 side right nto channel 4 on the JBL
5- pre-out from Marantz 7701 rear right into channel 5 on the JBL
6- pre-out from Marantz 7701 rear left into channel 6 on the JBL
7- pre-out from Marantz 7701 side left channel 7 on the JBL

"So the two plugs out of the preamp to one plug into each channel in the amp (there is only one plug for each channel) means I connect only the positive end of the rca into the amp and leave the other"

If you plug two pre-outs into one channel I see something pretty nasty happening...blue smoke.

Thanks - Except, because I am novice, I still don't "get" the 2 plug to 1 plug RCA scenario. So the two plugs out of the preamp to one plug into each channel in the amp (there is only one plug for each channel) means I connect only the positive end of the rca into the amp and leave the other disconnected?
As Stephenbarnes says, 1 RCA cable for each connection from the preamp to the PowerAmp. The pic you've shown looks like 1 RCA input, and 2 speaker out connections per channel, which would make sense. So you need 7 single RCA leads. You connect your speakers to the PowerAmp.

I think your confusing how RCA work.

Typically RCA cables come in pairs, one for left channel (white) and one for right (red). The colours are there purely to help you match left/right on one side of the cable to the same on the other, there is nothing electrically different about the cables. Just think one cable is required for each single channel of amplification.

A single cable is something like this, with one connect at each end of the cable.

Welcome to COP-USA.com

For this case, you need to just get 7 single RCA cables, it doesn't matter if their all white, all red or a combination of the 2 or any other colour for that matter. In my case the RCA cables are uncoloured.

Last edited:
The OP is possibly confusing 'audio out' with 'pre-amp' out by the look of it.

Audio out has two RCA's, while the pre-amp out has only one.

Thank you all. My brain is now working (I think). It looks like the preouts are for a 11.1 or 13.1 system because there is "height 1" "height 2" "front wide" in addition to "front, center, surround and surround back." Unless I'm still reading this incorrectly. Appreciate your taking the time to respond.

Thank you all. My brain is now working (I think). It looks like the preouts are for a 11.1 or 13.1 system because there is "height 1" "height 2" "front wide" in addition to "front, center, surround and surround back." Unless I'm still reading this incorrectly. Appreciate your taking the time to respond.
You only need to worry about the channels you actually have. 1 RCA cable for each relevant pre-out channel to the PA. Speakers to the PA.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom