1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power amp choices

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by cpark, Oct 15, 2002.

1. cpark

cpark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently run an arcam avr100 used 50/50 AV and music, and am planning the upgrades.

The first thing I am planning is getting power amps and using the AVR100 as a processor.

With a buget of approx £1000 (could be stretched!) I am thinking of :

1) Arcam P83/3 + P75 (rears)
    2) Rotel 1075

These amps will eventually be likned with a Tag Av30R or 32R, will these amps do the tag justice?

Recommendations or alternatives to listen to?

Cheers
    Calum

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    a couple of members use the rotel along with the tag and seem very pleased.

ad

3. cpark

cpark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm pretty sure the rotel / tag will be great in 5 channel AV.

How does the rotel / tag combo perform in stereo? would the arcams be superior for music.

Any ideas before i arrange a demo :confused:

Cheers
    Calum

4. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Calum.
    I use several Rotel power amps with the Tag and am quite happy with overall performance, i have no doubt that gains are there to had with the Brystons/Parasounds of this world at far greater expense.
    My own experience with Rotel/Arcam is that they are realistically on a fairly even par, tonal character being a matter of taste rather than one "outperforming by a mile" the other.
    For what it is worth i borrowed a Tag 100x5r and honestly thought that the improvements over my Rotels (bearing in mind i have approx 1700w on the Rotels) were not worth the £2500! or perhaps i could reap bigger benefits spending the £2500 elsewhere!

Steve.

5. baileych

baileych
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'll let you know about the TAG AV32R / Arcam *85 combo in a couple of weeks!

I am also upgrading from the AVR100 but I upgraded the processor first and am using the AVR100 as power amp for the centre and rears as a temporary measure at the moment.

Charles.

6. Couch Potato

Couch Potato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another 5 Servo 15's ;)

7. cpark

cpark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll be interested to hear your thoughts charles.

A couple of questions:

Why did you select the arcam amps and not something else?

Did you get any audible benefit from using the processor with the avr 100? I was thinking of upgrading the amps first.

Cheers

Calum

8. baileych

baileych
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

I'm actually using an A85 to power the front channels (I was using it on its own for stereo but now I put everything through the TAG). This is a big step up in performance from just the AVR100 on its own.

Given this though, the step up in perfomance is stunning. Also the extra features are an important part of the price. Just some of the things that I was happy to pay for: lip sync delay, PLII, THX modes, true analogue bypass, superior bass management options.

Some people have criticised me - and, indeed, they are totally justified in doing so - for auditioning and using it with B&W DM600 series speakers. However, I prefer to upgrade one thing at a time and push the boat out as far as possible on the item in question knowing that it will perform better and better as and when I upgrade the supporting components.

Other people prefer to upgrade everything at once and keep all there components at roughly the same price point. This means going for longer without feeding the addicition and taking a bigger financial hit at a single point in time though so it's not for me!

Charles.

9. ricdiggle

ricdiggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm trying out an AV30R with a Rotel 1075 on monday (as well as other stuff)
    I'll let people know how I get on in my thread.

Richard

10. Tejpal

Tejpal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    get a couple of NAD's 218THX

And bridge them :D

You should have fun with the 780 WATTS PER CHANNEL !!!
    :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

11. P Adams

P Adams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi Calum

I upgraded from a Yamaha 2070 Pro-Logic amp two months ago to a Tag AV32r 7.1EX processor and a Rotel RMB1075 power amp and haven't stopped smiling since!

I am only running the system in 5.1 at the moment but the clarity and power on tap is fantastic. I know it was a major step-up from the Yamaha but I was stunned by the quality this pairing gave.

I haven't heard an Arcam combination but stereo through even my Toshiba SD210e DVD player is more open and expressive, with great smooth bass. Lightning speed in effects placement and clarity even at low volume levels are two more positives in film sound. I am replacing this DVD player with a Toshiba SD900e in the next week and expect even more from this power amp and processor.

I think you would be very happy with this combination!

Cheers
    PA