1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power Amp Audition - Hints and Tips

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by JES, Dec 21, 2004.

1. JES

JES

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello fellow enthusiasts.

I need your help since I'm kind of new in this auditioning material stuff, and soon I'll be deciding which power amp to buy. This way I would imensely appreciate your hints and tips in what to listen to, what tests to do when auditioning the power amp, etc. The main contender right now is the Bryston 3B SST, but I may change my mind after the test. The Bryston will be used with the kit below (and with speakers to decide yet - ProAc Response D15 or PMC FB1+) for 50/50 on music/HT. My music tastes are somewhat broad, from classical to (very) hard music, pending somewhat to the heavy side.

So with all this into account, I decided to take the following CDs and DVDs: LOTR FOTR EE, Classical Masterpieces, Joe Satriani's Flying in a Blue Dream, Iced Earth's Dark Saga, Dimmu Borgir's Spiritual Black Dimensions.

I need one more DVD to take but I'm undecided as what else to take (something probably with loud explosions in it).

Now, how should I test this?

Thanks in advance,

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Ideally you want to use material you're very familiar with,and better still,arrange a home demo,as this way you'll get a much closer idea of what the final result is going to be.

Failing that,at a dealers showroom,try to arrange things as close to what your system is/will be and then audition the item(s) you're actually going to buy.

Take your time...don't be pushed or persuaded,and listen to as many in the price range as you can.

3. thxgoon

thxgoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Couldn't agree more. An amp can sound very different depending what speaker you put it on. In any regard, if you are looking at bryston I'm sure you'll be happy no matter what. :smashin:

4. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +646
    There are no certain ways to listen to kit, you will know when it sounds right to you, unfortunately you will porbably buy something and then realise what it is you don't like, no one said this hobby is cheap ;)

Take loads of tunes, listen to various pieces of kit, and listen to stuff well above your budget, even though you can't afford it you may find the sort of sound you like, with this in mind you can then try kit you hadn't considered and it may suit your ears better.