1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power Amp and B&W N802

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by JohnWH, Jun 14, 2004.

1. JohnWH

JohnWH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Does anyone have an opinion as to if mid price range (<£1000) power amps would cope with the load presented by B&W N802's? For example music fidelity A3.2cr that comes in at under a grand, or an Arcam P35 at about half the price (but nowhere near the current output)

Cheers,
    John.

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    The MF amps will do well,but I'd have my doubts about an Arcam P35 doing justice to the 802s.....ideally,if you can go to something more expensive,like one of the bigger MF's,or Bryston,Krell,Chord etc,you should get a far better match in terms of sound quality and headroom.

3. Jonesthegas

Jonesthegas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    The Rotel RB-1080 is £845. It is rated at 200W per channel and is worth a look.

Martin

4. JohnWH

JohnWH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    I've a work college who's drives 802's with a chord 1200c, the result is apperently rather good, not surprising for 4K amp + 6K speakers!

My only concern about the MF amps is that they use inductive smoothing, and I'm not convinced this is conducive to a good transient response (aren't inductors by nature "slow" at giving up their stored energy?).

That asside I was considering starting out with a more modestly price amp than say 'chord', and the just upgrade if my ears want to and when the bank manager isn't looking (again!).

John.

5. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I wouldn't worry too much about the MF choke smoothing methods...it's been used for decades on valve amps,and as far as transient response goes,certainly on the MF amps,you will have no problems!....very smooth,powerful,and importantly here,load tolerant.

The Rotel mentioned by Jonesthgas would do the job,but in terms of sound quality,really won't be doing the 802's any favours.

An alternative is to have a look through the classifieds(www.ex-dem.co.uk ,loot,and the others)for anything in the way of used Brystons,Krells and similar power amps,as this can be a good way of getting the sort of quality you need at a reasonable price.

Without being too nosey,what sort of budget did you have in mind for power amps,and I assume just the 2 channels?

6. Cameron

Cameron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    or a Halo A21 is under a grand and is rated at 250 watts.

CaM

7. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Excellent idea,and one often forgotten......becoming more easily available over here now,with very good sound quality and good load tolerance...perhaps ask a few other Parasound owners here for their opinions,John.

8. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    The P35 actually delivers a lot of power even into reactive loads, so why not get a trial? You will have to reach near ear bleeding levels before it gets into trouble. Having said that a pair of Arcam P1 monoblocks will certainly do the trick - albeit for about a grand each - and most Arcam FMJ dealers have these so it should be possible to evaluate a set on home demo.

HTH,

John Dawson (Arcam)

9. JohnWH

JohnWH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Thanks for the comments guys, will have to let my ears make the descision for me!

Cheers,
    John.