1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power amp advice

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by rsjt, Apr 24, 2004.

1. rsjt

rsjt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have 7.1 set up and I am currently bi-amping the front L&R speakers with four channels of my FMJ P7 and using the other three to do the centre and surround L&R. I then use a 2 channel Diva P85 for the surround back channels.

I have just upgraded my centre speaker and would now like to bi-amp this as well. This would leave me needing an extra pwer amp channel. I'm about to go to my local dealer to upgrade my TV and while i'm there I wouldn't mind trying out some power amp options. The three options I can think of are:

i) get an extra channel fitted to my P85 . Only problem here is that one of my surround or rear channels would still be using the remaining P7 channel so may not be exactly matched.

ii) add a P1 monoblock for bi-amping the centre channel but not sure if I should mix and match a P1 and P7

iii) not upgrade the TV and get another P7 and bi-amp everything ! (although I'm using nucleus micros for the surround backs at the moment which are not biwirable)

The sensible option would presumably be to do (i). But I suppose I could lobby Arcam for a three channel version of the P7......

Grateful for any other solutions/advice.

2. luddite2

luddite2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Aha --found you again!!!I'm trying to trouble shoot an AV8/P7 problem-could you please read thread "AV8/P7 sound cut-out" in this forum and if you have time let me know how your system goes with M and C as you are running a P7 but not AV8.Maybe that will tell me who the gremlin is in my(our) system(s).Thanks a lot Cheers.

3. rsjt

rsjt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Haven't bought M&C, but will try and rent it tonight and have a go. I haven't had the problem with P of the C.

4. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I'm in a similar dilema with my setup, I was at first trying to get another P7 but this time 2nd hand, but they seem to be as rare as hens teeth, only seen one in a year :(

What you could do is bi-amp all your front stage using the P7 and then add another P85 to combine with your current P85 to power the rears and surrounds

HTH

John

5. rsjt

rsjt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks John I think you're right that getting another p85 might be the way to go. There's been quite a few P85's on ebay recently and they're going at prices not far off what it would be to get a third channel fitted to my P85 and there's the added advantage of course that the rears and surrounds would all be driven by the same power with the extra two channels.