power amp advice..

chrisgeary

Prominent Member
Reaction score
i have just changed my B&W DM620s for Dynaudio Audience 122s. what an improvement! glorious sound.. anyway, i've also dropped 4db in sensitivity and consequently, my 80w/chan on my A3090 doesnt go as far as it used to. Incidentally, that 3090 is just being used as a power amp, I have a 3803 as a pre-amp/processor and power amp for the centre/rears.

Having read various threads about SPLs and how wattage relates to it, I'm thinking that a power amp of the order of 200w is required. I also have a Meridian 506.24 cd player and sometimes feel that the 3803 does not do it justice at all (using the analogue outputs). I'm considering changing the 3803, but whatever I do, I'll need power amps for the speakers. Any suggestions? I'm not looking for outright brute force, I want something that will really make the Meridian CD player sing as it should - I dont like shouty harsh amps. I'll probably be looking second-hand.

Cheers

What sort of budget did you have in mind.....some of the Meridian power amps would be ideal,and there are lots of other good ones around in the £1k-£2k bracket.

yeah around the £1k mark i guess.

interestingly, i borrowed a Krell KAV-300i from a friend.. it was really quite a harsh sound at any volume.

ok, does anyone have any opinions about the meridian 505s?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom