Power amp £500-£700

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by t-force, Nov 10, 2001.

1. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +150
    Can anyone recommend a good power amp (5-channel) at approx £500 to £700? It's one area about which I know very little. Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance,

Toby

2. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Only one brand for you I would say:

Rotel - either the RMB1075 or its (pretty identical) predecessor, the RB985MKII. Both very good, THX rated and within your budget.

I use a 985MKII with a Tag processor and it sounds great. There are a number of better 5 channel power amps out there (Tag, Bryston, Parasound etc.) but you're talking about 2-3 grand. The Rotels are just amazingly good value - go get one.

Matt.

3. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +150
    Thanks very much for that. I was definitely thinking of taking the Rotel route. Any idea where I could pick up a 985MkII from?

4. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    HiFiBitz.co.uk list the 985MKII at £644.95 and the RMB1075 at £744.95 but I would have thought you would be able to find the 985 at a bit less that this given that it has been superceded.

STOP PRESS - just found it on Qed.co.uk - £606.46. That's a bit better but it still might be worth checking all the small adds in What HiFi etc to see if anyone's doing it cheaper.

Matt.

5. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +150
    Thanks mate!! Just realised that I meant to ask for the price for RMB1075. Well, I've got one so far!!! Anyone else have any idea where on the net I can find one - reasonably priced.

6. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +150
    Empire Direct have the 985 (I presume MkII because it looks totally different to the picture on the HCC web-site of the Mark I) for £499.71!!! I have to say I'm EXTREMELY tempted!

7. Couch Potato

Couch Potato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    t-force,

Unless you really need the additional 20watts the 1075 gives you I'd go for the 985 (I did) and keep saving for the TAG gear you obviously desire.

I use the Rotel with the AV32R and it's excellent, not quite as good as the Brystons, TAG's or Parasounds but definately a major step up from integrated. The 2nd hand value should be good also when you come to upgrade to the AV32R/100x5R.

Go listen and take your credit card:D

Steve