Power Adapters, Surge Protection and Mains Conditioners

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by jamezm, Sep 15, 2007.

1. jamezm

jamezm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Power Adapters, Surge Protection and Mains Conditioners

Can these really make a difference to picture / sound quality? Has anyone got a particular recommendation with a budget of £20-£50?

I recall seeing an adapter advertised that is one sealed unit that plugs into a standard power outlet and splits into a 4-gang adapter without a trailing cable (i.e. it just plugs in and the 4-gang adapter sits above or below the regular outlet), this would really tidy up my AV area, and it includes surge protection. Anyone know where to find these? (can't find ad now!)

Thanks in advance

2. JohnWH

JohnWH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    In theory a conditioner will make a difference if you have clearly apparent problems with mains bourne interference. You do need to be careful though, sticking things like this in the feed to a power amplifier could introduce additional resistance which may effect its perfromance when under heavy load.

As far as improving PQ is concerned, if you have a fully digital chain (DVD->HDMI->LCD/Plasma) then claims of PQ improvement, particularly sharpness, colour etc, from fitting conditioners etc are extremely questionable.

Cheers,
    John.

3. bsimmer3000

bsimmer3000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24