1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Potter

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Mr.D, Nov 2, 2001.

1. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Seeing this tomorrow : reviews so far seem promising.

2. Ars longa, vita brevis

Ars longa, vita brevis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i believe you were responsible for making his eyes green
    if you were solely responsible, do we get to point out every little flash of blue eyes?

3. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Nope never said that said the possibility had been raised but this never happened.

Film isn't perfect and its unlikely anyone is going to comment to the effect that its fantastically original piece of film-making but...

I think its going to be massive and that kids especially will really get immersed in it. Its a very solid classic style of film-making and is much more traditional and unhurried in its unravelling than a lot of the recent films that seem to cleave to the overtly cutty MTV school of film making ( Tombraider a case in point).

Its got interesting characters in spades and pretty good performances all round: Robbie Coltrane is great as is especially the kid who plays Ron ( not read the books so can't quite remember his name).
    It is a little on the long side but I suspect its a good compromise between trying to include as much of the book as possible and making it digestible for kids : I do suspect avid fans of the book will protest at every ommision and demand a 4hour long version regardless.

Some of the effects are a bit of a mixed bag but I'll leave off that area out of professional courtesy! Good mix though: some subtle some in your face. Its also quite dark in places and should give your average 11 year old a bit of a healthy scare here and there. It also never gets particularly schmaltzy as some people who were worried about Chris Columbus will be pleased to note. Music was pretty much what you'd expect for this sort of film in that it sounds like half a dozen other films with a bit of John Williams and Danny Elfman thrown in and then cranked back a bit to level4 to keep it polite for the masses. They do manage to switch it off occasionally rather than filling every scene with sweeping corny chords even if its just someone emptying a dustbin.

Only negative aspect to it was the pacing which can drag a bit here and there but I feel this is preferable to pushing the action through too quickly. ( its about 2 and a half hours) Didn't find it nearly as heavy going and annoying as say something like Titanic though. Introducing this many characters and setting the stage for the forthcoming films and making it unhurried rather than tedious is in itself very impressive.

Projection I saw was too bright with the blacks way too high but I know the photography was far better than what I saw today but leave off commenting more as a result. Similarly I'll avoid commenting on the soundtrack as the cinema wasn't particularly impressive. ( I'll be seeing it again in a couple of weeks in a professional veiwng theatre and expect improvements)

I strongly suspect this film will please about 80% of the people that see it and the series is going to be up there with things like Star Wars in the popularity stakes: its 10 times more enjoyable than TPM by the way even if its not up there with it on the effects front. Whilst I know that LOTR will be massively impressive when it comes out : more so that HP in a lot of areas , this is the one that the kids will be most entertained by. Although the series represents a huge marketing behemoth this film never really felt like a cynically minded money making machine : it just felt like a decent and refreshingly old fashioned ( if thats not a paradox) bit of movie-making.

4. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    saw this on saturday - very enjoyable and faithful to the book.

Audience seemed to love it and the word "hit" comes to mind!

Did my bit for cinema by getting four kids chucked out who were consistantly talking and messing about at the back of the cinema.

Reminded me of why I usually wait for the DVD...

5. UlricVonLichtenstien

UlricVonLichtenstien

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have to agree with Duncan - I thoroughly enjoyed it! Standout moment for me was the Quidditch match, even if some sequences looked as if they'd been lifted from the speeder bike chase in RTOJ.

6. Bone Daddy

Bone Daddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Saw this on saturday,very enjoyable and very true to the book,actually haven`t read the book,instead have the spoken tapes by Stephen Fry - stunning -describes everything to the last detail and does every voice,you really can picture the scenes,he is that good :eek: well recomended if you are going on a long car journey. I thought the Hermanie Granger character was a bit to theatrical and `yes lovey darling`in the way she did some of the lines,but hey it is only a very small complaint,and make no mistake this will be the big blockbuster that everyone says it will be,when we came out of the cinema,people were talking about when they were coming to view it again.(ps great avatar Ulric)

7. Laingy

Laingy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was disappointed by the film, no way is this an ET or Star Wars. The children actors were very average and the story almost containd too many things going on and didnt allow the characters to be developed.

The effects were great, even if the film was a bit grainy.

Itll still be a smash though

8. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Me, my Wife, and Kids liked it. My 20yr Brother wished we'd seen Kiss of the Dragon instead.

It'll be huge this year as it has all the ingredients of a decent blockbuster.

Problems? A little too long, Norbert Sub Plot done away with and the ending fely a little to slushy. Oh and it makes you itch for the 2nd Part.

Stunning set design that'll soon be surpassed by LotR.

Sadly despite seeing it on a preview one week before it opens the Print was awful, dirt, grain, hair, poor colour control and a tear from left to right thru the centre of the image.

No wonder everyone loves DVD when they have to put up with crap like this and before anyone asks it was Milton Keynes supposedly top Delux Screen.

8 of us went and I didnt see any change from £100...

Jenz.

9. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how many kids have you got!!