potentially very stupid newbie question

A

AMcL

I have a 100Hz TV connected via RGB scart to a Freeview box. On occasion, I get smearing effects which, if my (limited) understanding is correct, is an interaction between the processing in the TV and the degree of compression used in the digital signal.

Now, lets get to the dumb question I promised in the subject line.

I realise that much of the problem is nothing to do with the Freeview box, as the artefacts can vary from channel to channel and program to program. But (here it comes) does the processing that goes on in the box play any role at all? My Freeview box is the original Pace box - the half-moon shaped beast. Is it at all possible that I could upgrade the decoder and see at least some alleviation of the smearing problem on the 100Hz TV?

Or am I talking complete balls?:zonked:

There is every reason to believe that a higher spec DTT STB can produce a decoded mpegII media stream of higher quality than a cheap and cheerful STB.
However you are still left with a digital source which is far from perfect and only serious hardware processing (we're talking hundreds of pounds worth) could ever hope to improve the video quality upto something approaching a well mastered DVD which can handle 100hz and further digital processing.

I assume the 100hz isn't switchable?

Thanks for the reply Starburst. The TV isn't switchable. I guess it's time I did some homework on all the new boxes that have come out since the original Pace.

[That'll be one more thing to add to my shopping list:D. The TV's a fairly recent purchase ... I'm also currently looking at DVD players ... I fancy getting a PVR at some stage ... and now I could do with a new Digital box ... or I could get a decoder/PVR combi ... and I could also admit to a cock-up with my 100Hz decision and replace the TV.

God, it's like a disease - gizmo-itis]

Well replacing the TV is a big step but with a DVD source you should have no picture quality issues with 100hz processing. Infact you might decide that the TV handles DVD so well you buy/rent more movies and tv shows and watch less broadcast telly so the issues with 100HZ become less intrusive:)
It's quite depressing the number of times I've read people with expensive new TV's saying that DVD looks great but SKY doesn't which is a criticism of the PQ on to many diigital channels which do not have the regulator looking over their shoulders demanding a set level of quality unlike PAL analogue broadcasting.

I can see your point. For example, usually when watching football, the smearing problem is quite dreadful - especially involving teams in red and especially on ITV. (though the six nations rugby on BBC 1 wasn't much better.) Yet last night I watched Barcelona-Celtic on BBC3 and the picture was brilliant.

Guess I should stop moaning about the TV and start moaning about the broadcasters!

Originally posted by AMcL
Guess I should stop moaning about the TV and start moaning about the broadcasters!

You could have a very valid point there! I watch a lot of Rugby and the PQ on Sky Sports is always far superior to the BBC. More bandwidth presumably.

Dave

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom