• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Potentially stupid question...

wiknerhacker

Standard Member
When i wall mount a forthcoming 506xde, all of the plugs to the appliances - tv/vcr/dvd/sky/pio media box will be plugged into a 5-plug bar that will sit within the fireplace. the power cable from this 5-plug bar will then be routed behind a skirting board, along with a lead that i presume is the outside aerial??

if i change to sky+ and then to sky HD when it comes out, will a different aerial lead be used ie. will i have to unattach the skirting board? and also, are there any other wires that should be running to the mains or outside other than the ones i've mentioned. i'm sensing a classic 'passing the point of no return' scenario when i try and bodge it...

TIA

Luke

kbj242

Established Member
wiknerhacker said:
When i wall mount a forthcoming 506xde, all of the plugs to the appliances - tv/vcr/dvd/sky/pio media box will be plugged into a 5-plug bar that will sit within the fireplace. the power cable from this 5-plug bar will then be routed behind a skirting board, along with a lead that i presume is the outside aerial??

if i change to sky+ and then to sky HD when it comes out, will a different aerial lead be used ie. will i have to unattach the skirting board? and also, are there any other wires that should be running to the mains or outside other than the ones i've mentioned. i'm sensing a classic 'passing the point of no return' scenario when i try and bodge it...

TIA

Luke

As far as I know, Sky+ does involve extra cable runs from the dish to the box - as it has two tuners. Two tuners = two cables.
Thats what my neighbour had installed anyway.
Hope that helps.

Piers

Established Member
If you are using the Freeview function of the XDE the aerial lead is probably from your TV aerial. There should be a second lead going to the Sky receiver and when you upgrade to Sky+ or Sky HD you will need a third lead (as both Sky+ and Sky HD need two feeds).

Baz80

Established Member
Whats good news for those of us who have Sky+ is there's no need to change leads or cables for the new HD box they just attach the new box to existing cables. Thank God the thought of pulling out freshly painted fascia just fill me with dread.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom