Potentially stupid DIY question re: floorboards

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Pisto_Grih, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Pisto_Grih

Pisto_Grih
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,234
    I am lifting first floor floorboards in the house I've just bought, in order to run cables in the void - thankfully both the cables and the main joists are running back to front however there are a few cross joists that I need to drill through. For these I need to lift 2 or 3 floorboards to be able to get my drill in.

Some of the floorboards in the hallway are only long enough to rest on two joists i.e from one to the next, rather than a full length board. About 12-14 inches long. These are how I found them, I think they were cut this way when an internal chimney breast was removed. They rest on the joist by about a half inch each end. They feel stable under foot but obviously not ideal.

Some of the other boards I will need to cut run from under the skirting on one side, under a stud wall, and into another room underneath laminate flooring, so I can't pull them out whole, I will need to cut them in the same way, but mostly they will be across 3 joists.

Is it OK to have these short floorboards in the hallway, they would be directly underfoot. For the very short boards, should I fix wooden battens onto the joist, and if I do, do I screw them or nail them?

2. blue max

blue max
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,299
    If the boards are sound, I wouldn't give it a second thought. Cosmetically it might not be ideal, but if they were like that when you started, they obviously have stood the test of time.

3. Wahreo

Wahreo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,435
    1/2" on the joist is fine. Just drill a pilot hole in the boards and screw, countersink as necessary.

If you're worried then screw a batten onto the joist, I tend to also screw the batten from floorboards either side of the board you've taken up as I like belt 'n braces.

4. Pisto_Grih

Pisto_Grih
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,234
    Thanks, cosmetically they are battered, we will have carpet over the top eventually.

Battens it is, the floor is very solid (the previous owners had a few joists replaced due to woodworm, so these aren't the original joists from a hundred years ago!