1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Potentially bad news for "The Sopranos"

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by PoochJD, Oct 27, 2004.

1. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

News has reached me that "The Sopranos" is not doing as well as people think, on terrestrial TV in the UK.

Monday night's penultimate episode of Season 5 got just 700,000 viewers on Channel 4! :(

Could this be anything to do with the fact that the idiots at the transmitting channel, have cleverly put repeats of "Father Ted" on for half-an-hour before hand, meaning "The Sopranos" now doesn't finish till about 12:45am?!

I think it has something to do with it! Seems to me like C4 are shooting themselves in the foot again. And, once more, it has to involve an excellent US drama, doesn't it?! :mad:

Pooch

2. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Great drama but this season has been a bit duller than previous imho.

3. neilo

neilo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Think most people downloaded it anyway

4. lee789

lee789

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Waiting for the DVD release as it is always on too late for me to stay up.
    Don't say its dull ! I 've been looking forward to this for a while now.!!

5. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Last nights was fantastic. I dont think its been as good as other seasons on the hole

6. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Yes just watched it and it just got interesting. :cool: , pity there is only one episode left for this season. Oh and 'dull' is all relative it's still great and worth a dvd purchase. :smashin:

7. Caroline

Caroline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Channel 4 have done it again. They did this with the fabulous NYPD Blue. A series which used to be on at 10pm and kept getting moved until it was on at a different time each week - usually somewhere between midnight and 1,30am.

I just wish another channel would pick up the franchise. The last series (shown this year) aired in America in 2001. How many years before the next is shown?

Sopranos...isn't it about time Christopher was whacked!

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    have been watching on E4 on a tuesday didnt know it was on monday..... How many series have been made or shown in US?

9. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Five.
    Season Six will be shown in 2006. :cool:

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    big gap... hope we dont have to wait until after 2010.......

11. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +337
    I don't know if this is the same for other people, but I enjoyed the 4th series more the 2nd time round. I remember being underwhelmed by it forst time round. Whether this was because I watched it on dvd the 2nd time without the constant interuption of ad breaks, or that initially my expectations are unrealistic!? I'm not sure. However, I'm guessing it will be the same with this series.

12. The Sheriff

The Sheriff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Liked this series but it has annoyed me about the time it is shown. Also it used to be that i could watch the sopranos then flick over to film 2004 (could have been the other way round), but now as there on a the same time i only catch like 2 minutes of film during the adds! :mad:

Nick

13. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't see why this is bad news for the Sopranos. I can not imagine they give a toss about C4 viewing figures for the repeated episodes that have already been shown on E4. I would also imagine those figures represent a pretty decent market share for C4 at that time of night.

To be pedantic, Monday's episode on C4 was not the penultimate episode. It was episode 11/13.

I think season 5 has been absolutely fantastic.

14. BlueOrange25

BlueOrange25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    I too am mystified as to why Channel 4 have put one of the best dramas of the last 10 years on at such an awkward time. Saying that, though, I'll just end up buying the series on DVD like I have done with the first four series.

I find that I deliberately miss a lot of shows on television because I know I'll just end up buying them on DVD. I usually only record stuff that isn't available on DVD yet or sports programmes. Does anyone else also skip broadcast episodes in favour of a DVD release?

15. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

Umm, I never meant it was bad news for "The Sopranos" programme-makers, i.e. for HBO, but it is bad news for the show itself, and for UK fans of the show!! :rolleyes:

I'm concerned that if only 700,000 people are now watching it, that C4 will try and find some kind of lame excuse to not purchase the rights to the next series - Season 6. As C4 have such an appalling track record with transmissions of US dramas, (see "Angel", "Babylon 5", "Homicide: Life On The Streets", "Oz", etc, etc, etc), it's not right to the fans of the show in the UK, to find out that C4 are trying to wash their hands of the show, just because it doesn't get as many viewers as they would like it to.

The fact that C4 have now inserted repeats of "Father Ted" into the 11pm timeslot, bumping "The Sopranos" to a half-past eleven slot, is unfair, and unjust! It's rare, now, for "The Sopranos" to finish before 12:40am on a Tuesday morning! :mad:

Yes, I know a lot of people have VCR's, PVR's, DVD-recorders, and Sky+ boxes, but that's not an excuse for C4 to -about with quality shows.

If C4 can afford to fill their prime-time schedules with dross like "How Clean Is Your House", "Teenage Transsexuals" (a supposed documentary, I might add!), "Location, Location, Location", "A House In The Sun" and numerous other fix-your-life shows, then they can afford to put repeats of "Father Ted" on, AFTER new episodes of "The Sopranos", and not before it! :mad:

Why should every show that C4 airs have to be popular enough, just to warrant reasonable air-time?! It's like a car manufacturer demanding that at least 1 million of their product must be sold within the first three months of a car being made available, or else, they'll withdraw it from being sold at all :suicide:

It's just sheer madness, and stupidity, on the part of C4!

Pooch

16. Fordy

Fordy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    What bugs me is channel 4 dont listen if you complain, they just reply with "the viewing figures for this series dont warrant an earlier time slot"

Well Duh!

Try putting it on at 10 and see what happens, just make sure its publicised first.

I recall last year when the NYPD blue talkback forum on c4s website was closed due to the number of complaints about scheduling. Its obvious they dont care about viewers tastes.

17. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    I expect Channel 5 would probably pick it up if C4 dropped.. not watched any on Tv .. either on DL or will wait for the DVD's.

18. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The day that no UK broadcaster picks up season 6 of the Sopranos will be the same day Satan himself will skate to work.

It is a little meaningless to quote C4 viewing figures as most people who like US drama series will have sky/cable etc; so will have watched the Sopranos the previous week.

I do agree that pushing it back on C4 for Father Ted repeats is madness

19. plasmoid

plasmoid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm going to back track a bit. I was also disappointed with Season 5. No spoilers...I promise! It's not that it was bad...it just wasn't as big as the hype that I had expected...I felt like they kept building up, and then nothing would happen.

My question is, why such a big gap between season 5 and 6?? Does it have to do with the negotiations on actors' salaries??

20. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Evening Folks,

Unfortunately, I can't agree with you, about people watching it on satellite/cable, bearing in mind, it airs on E4 which showed the episode, maybe two weeks earlier, and probably got far less than 100,000 viewers. (E4 programmes rarely ever do well nowadays, unless it's total tat, like "Butt Munch 5"!

If "The Sopranos" had been on Sky 1, or FX289 perhaps, then maybe there might be a minor justification for pushing the new Season 5 on terrestrial, back by 30mins. However, as that isn't the case, I find C4's decision just another tactic to deliberately irritate the viewers. Why else would they push it back, to past 11:30pm on a Monday night, when it used to air the show - back in the show's early days - at 10pm on a Thursday night?!

C4 need to hang their heads in shame, at what they are doing to their TV schedules! :mad:

Pooch

21. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Well i've been loving series 5 of the Sopranos, and yes another one that hates the late timeslot!! :mad:

Been into the program since the end of season#1, very addictive & quality TV. (Makes a change from the usual dross on TV these days.)

I'm sure C4 will carry on with their silly timeslots for quality programs, and loose viewers, and they will pull the plug on the show.

I hope C5 picks up on it for season 6 if C4 pulls out.

Just my thoughts..........

22. captainH

captainH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    Also it is just me or are those damn Renault ads infuriating? You're just in a quiet, tense or emotional scene then all of sudden a hugely loud F1 car roars past or some French bloke whistles - talk about kill the tension. :mad:

23. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi Captain,

It's not just you! I hate those freaking Renault Espace trailers too! :mad: I think C4 must try to plan sponsorship trails that are as loud and as irritating as possible. Or else, they don't think that crappy timeslots for quality US dramas, are enough to p*** people off! :laugh:

Pooch

24. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Aaargh. Couldn't agree more Captain and Pooch about those :censored: Renault commercials. They do my head in. West Wing, Sopranos and In the Line of Fire. Even with Sky+ you just can't escape them.

C4 are terrible with time slots. Just look at what they did with West Wing. As good a series as has been on TV for years and unless you've got E4, you're stuffed as they messed around with the slots for ages now. A great shame that a wonderful show is denied to large parts of the audience because C4 won't give it a regular slot.

Thoroughly enjoying this season of the Sopranos but can't help but feeling that there's going to be a hell of a cliffhanger in the season finale this week and we'll have to wait 18 months for the conclusion.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo! :suicide:

25. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    What about E4 adding some comic reality guff in the middle of a decent tuesday nights drama. Used to be able to turn on at 9 for the Westwing and then follow on with the Sopranos. Fortunately I can turn over to SKY1 and watch Deadwood after the Westwing and tape the Sopranos on e4+1 later on. Dont suppose they both planned it that way though.