1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Potential Toshiba WHo8B buyers

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Radioactive__Man, Nov 29, 2001.

1. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Please dont !!!!!!

Now been waiting 6 months for a component input repair on my set

Apparently 12 kits are used nationwide by Toshiba, and I have been waitng 3 months for this kit to enable an "engine change" on my RPTV.

This kit contains every PCB and related cable for this range of sets, so that an engineer can swap out cards untill the fault is cured [no brainer or what ?]

Over a month ago, I was confirmed as being top of list for when one became available, as of this morning I am still waiting for a kit to be shipped to my service centre. When I asked when, I was told "we cannot confirm, it could be this week or later".

Now, either Scotland is treated as a 3rd world country, or there are a lot of faulty sets in the UK, hence this thread.

Regardless of how magnificent the mags repeatedly tell us these sets are [maybe they should keep one for a few months, rather than a few days !], Toshiba do not deserve to get any further customers based upon treatment like this. I am totally sickened by the whole affair and if I can offload this piece of junk after repair, I most certainly will, give me back my Panny 36" 100Hz widescreen anyday !!!!

2. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Update

Well after some bright spark at Toshiba decided I didn't after all need the "kit", a replacement signal remodulator circuit was sent to my repairer.

Said repairer arrived this evening and swapped out the part supplied by Toshiba, and guess what ?

Still didn't work **£&%$)&£&)

Toshiba are quite simply incapable of affecting a proper repair on these sets.

However, seeing my displeasure, the repair chap proceeded to do some further investigation. He, like myself was tiring of the long chain of events and proceeded to go beyond the call of duty in trying to figure out what was wrong [arguably this may have been prudent on an earlier visit, but we are all human, except perhaps for Toshiba Technical/Spares Staff :)]

After a small murmur, a grab for his soldering iron and a consequent power up of my "rogue" set.
    Pictures on AV4 !!!!!, problem cured :)

Problem identified as a couple of dry solder joints with a component sited on another PCB, not the one sent by Toshiba.

All through this saga I have never faulted the repair centre, as I have a reasonably varied electronic PCB background, and was in no way unhappy about there procedures & endeavours to repair my set. I have always suspected and have now confirmed that a number of persons dealing with my problem from Toshiba are incompetent, with the exception of a very understanding and concerned lady by the name of Laura P :)

I would also like to thank TVRS personnel based in East Kilbride for there diligence, electronic understanding and ultimately superior customer care. [This repair was done after 6pm on their time !]

Hopefully this fault has now been cured, but the facts remain the same

6 months [at least 4 months in total waiting for parts] to repair an intermittent fault which became a permanent fault 4 months ago, 2 wrongly supplied PCB's and outrageous customer care from Toshiba.

I have said enough on this matter now, and will only continue if another arises or this one returns. My whole aim of my post was to highlight the serious failings of Toshiba customer care and technical knowledge on this particular issue

3. Meldrew_Lives

Meldrew_Lives

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The phrase 'patience of a saint' springs to mind.

You will note from a post elsewhere that it looks as if I am joining you as a member of the dissatisfied Toshiba owners club.

The only way that Toshiba will be stopped from shipping crap products and supplying even worse service will be when their problems receive sufficient publicity to dissuade potential purchasers. Only when their sales take a knock will they pay attention (assuming they are awake enough even to notice!).

No disrespect to members of this forum but the issue needs a much wider audience. The only way that's going to happen is if those of us who have bad experiences take the time to publicise them much more widely in the media, by which I mean newspapers and TV consumer programmes.

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm in two minds about this...

On the one hand I completely agree that Toshiba has a problem with quality control. It abhors me to have had 4 RPTVs pass over my threshold and all of them having different problems.
    I accept that a degree of susceptibility to problems may occur due to tolerances set down by cost of manufacture to keep the final price tag acceptable to most of us...but £1500-£2000 is a lot of readies to be messed about like this.

I sympathise with you guys. I had 4x40WH08B and I was still left wondering when I was going to get a good one and settle down to enjoy a film without being distracted by the latest "known issue that is normal for RPTVs of this type"

In the end I scrapped the idea of ever getting a Tosh RPTV that would suit me and accepted a refund.

To be fair to Toshiba though....Once I managed to speak to the right people, there was a good degree of understanding for my plight and the result was a full refund. I spoke with the Customer Service Manager who gave me all the available options. Since getting a TV without any of the problems that I had previously seen was not a guaranteed option I took the only way out left - to take the money and run.

This is not to say that there was not a good degree of frustration and infuriation along the way. I spoke to many different people...took afternoons off work to wait for engineers to parade through my lounge (some very knowledgeable) but the long and short of it is that the technology driving this set could not guarantee consistently reproducible results - at least without spending more money on it ! This means that some people might be lucky enough to get a set that appears perfect in all respects. Some will get a set with one problem perhaps that can be easily fixed....some will get all of them..... Toshiba could not guarantee me that if they bring 1,2 even 101 sets into my house that any of them would be free of the issues seen. There's no further argument is there..? Just walk away.

I don't think Toshiba are the only manufacturers out there with this issue. It seems evident that RP technology has its limitations, some of which can be minimised - but not for the price you pay for these sets. CRT technology isn't much better really is it...just look at this forum for proof of that !

I look around on the forum and I see that Sony and Philips customer service also seem to leave something to be desired. I wonder about Panasonic too...I'm thinking of going for their new RPTV next... It's pretty sad that I'm actually dreading buying another TV...it should be exciting shouldn't it?

Ah well...that's my two penneth anyway. Perhaps Plasma will be the technology to solve all our woes ? If only I had 6 grand to spend !

good luck guys !

Cheers
    Daz