1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Potential throw ratio problems? Advice needed

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by pingu, May 17, 2005.

1. pingu

pingu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Hi all,

I'm looking to get into the projector scene for the first time, but I have a few constraints that may make it difficult.

The room I'm planning on having the proj. in is the living room and is approx 18 ft x 12 ft. I want the screen to be about a 7ft diagonal and to drop down from behind a pelmet on one of the short walls.
    The main seating is about 12 ft back from that wall, leaving a further 6ft behind where I would like the projector to sit on a bookcase - ceiling mounting is not an option as it fails the WAF (wife acceptance factor) :( .

Now given that the screen / projector aren't plumb on the wall, the distances involved are roughly:
    11ft screen to viewing pos.
    17ft screen to projector.

I am prepared to stretch to the likes of the Screenplay 7205 (£3500) for HD ready DLP, but if there are none suitable, then I don't want to spend more than about £1500 for LCD or non-HD ready DLP (e.g. Sony HS50, Panny AE700, Screenplay 4805, etc).

My question is, are there any projectors matching my requirements that have a long enough throw ratio to give me the 7ft diag. image from 17 odd feet away?
    Do any projectors in my price range have optional long throw lenses?

TIA,
    Steve.

2. matblack

matblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    The calculator at projector central will sort that out for you, there aren't many that will do it though

http://www.projectorcentral.com/pro...l=any&wll=any&wul=any&prll=any&prul=any&met=1

These are the ones it spat out able to do that as standard, but you might be able to do something with custom optics on another machine too.

projectiondesign model zero five mk II n/a 6.5 1024x576 1000 DLP 2000
    Sim2 DOMINO 20 n/a 11.0 1024x576 n/a DLP 6000
    Sim2 DOMINO 20H $ 5,495 11.0 1024x576 n/a DLP 6000
    Sim2 HT280 $ 6,495 11.0 1024x576 n/a DLP 8000

MB