Potential PS3'er but dont have broadband, how can I download updates/firmware etc

Chubby Checker

Standard Member
Reaction score
This is really putting me off getting a Ps3; I use a laptop with the free wifi in McDonalds to access the internet (I dont have a phone line/cable) but the Ps3 needs updates for games and firmware quite often. Can I download these from a PS3 website to my laptop and transer them to PS3 or something??? OR do some of the magazines with free discs contain the latest updates ?????? please help, I had a look through the threads and couldnt see:lease:

This is really putting me off getting a Ps3; I use a laptop with the free wifi in McDonalds to access the internet (I dont have a phone line/cable) but the Ps3 needs updates for games and firmware quite often. Can I download these from a PS3 website to my laptop and transer them to PS3 or something??? OR do some of the magazines with free discs contain the latest updates ?????? please help, I had a look through the threads and couldnt see:lease:

You can download the Firmware Update to your PC, save the file on a CD or USB stick, then use it to update your PS3.

Game updates only activate when you play the game, so if you don't have internet access at home then they wont update. You cannot download game updates via a PC.

yes just download the updates off the sony web site transfer on to a memory stick,chuck it in ps3 and update no prob.

Official Playstation magazine put the latest updates on their blu-ray discs - though the last time I bought the magazine was a good 3 months ago.

Official Playstation magazine put the latest updates on their blu-ray discs - though the last time I bought the magazine was a good 3 months ago.

interesting that, what I really want would be updates for Pro Evo, theres gonna be one on Friday, dont think games mags do these ones do they (I aint up with next gen, obviously, still on pes6 on ps2)

My mate hasnt got his PS3 linked up to braodband yet and hes had his for almost a year and to be honest it hasnt stopped him having fun offline with games. If there is any games that require an update - they are on the disc and ask you to update from the game disc. I wouldnt let that put you off.

Before I had broadband I used my mobile phone as a modem on the pc, turned on internet connection sharing and wired the PS3 to the pc to download game updates and firmwares.

My mate hasnt got his PS3 linked up to braodband yet and hes had his for almost a year and to be honest it hasnt stopped him having fun offline with games. If there is any games that require an update - they are on the disc and ask you to update from the game disc. I wouldnt let that put you off.

Game updates are not on the discs.
If you buy a game today and the devs decide to update it a month later how can it be on the disc.
You get game updates and patches via the internet.
The only other way is sometimes magazines put updates on there cover discs.

Game updates are not on the discs.
If you buy a game today and the devs decide to update it a month later how can it be on the disc.
You get game updates and patches via the internet.
The only other way is sometimes magazines put updates on there cover discs.

I'm pretty sure he means that if a game requires a certain level of firmware to run then it's included on the disc. I know it works this way for the PSP but I've always kept my PS3 up-to-date so it may or may not be the case.

Just to confirm... yes I did mean if any Firmware updates were required - they are on the disc. I rarely play online and only go to the store if there is a demo Im really looking forward to, so I have made use of the firmware updates on game discs.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom