1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

potential prob with pana plamsa and denon 2910?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by mr_incredible, Apr 20, 2005.

1. mr_incredible

mr_incredible

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Evening team! Need a few words of wisdom/advice!

Im thinking of upgrading my dvd player to the Denon 2910 to connect to my Panasonic TH37PE50 via component progressive scan. The only thing is Ive been hearing some bad vibes regarding 'macroblocking' on the 2910. Could someone please elaborate on this a little bit as Im getting a tad worried and dont want to order this dvd player if im not going to able to play certain discs! Also is it only because I have a Panasonic plasma? And is there any other potential problems I should know about?

Cheers guys!

2. Enquirer

Enquirer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. mr_incredible

mr_incredible

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had an email back from the guys at Denon today to try and explain the macrblocking thing:

"This is the limitation of DVD technology or more exactly the Mpeg encoding. Because you are dealing with DVD the amount of space on the disc limits the resolution of the image so once it is increased in size by your TV also any scaling or de-interlacing perfomed you begin to see it.

Some display/DVD combinations show this in more detail then others due to the TV’s own image processing.

This brings us to two key solutions.
    Either use a powerful real time processor like the Realta chip in the DVD-A1XV that inteligently looks at this sort of thing and invents additional pixels to smooth the image but not reduce the quality.

Or move over to a new format like Blu-ray or HD-DVD where with the additional disc space you can have higher resloution images to start with with less macroblocking.

In short the 2910 would offer you a higher resolution image but at times it may show up badly encoded films which is macroblocking."

What do you guyts make of this? Do you all think I should skip the 2910 and try another dvd player? Can anyone recommend a similar player that will give me just as good picture around the same price?

Help guys!