Potential New XBOX One buyer. Questions First

Discussion in 'Xbox One' started by Deleted member 92943, Jun 18, 2015.

1. Deleted member 92943

Deleted member 92943

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys

With my favourite Franchise ever coming back on XBOX in a big way, Gears of War, im planning to pick up an XBO soon especially as prices have really plummeted since launch but i have some questions first.

1. do you need a Kinect to do voice commands? Guess i can pick up a cheap 2nd hand one rather than buying a new Bundle.

2. How well do voice commands work? Does it work on things like SkyGo, Netflix, All4 ect?

3.Could i have my Mac Mini running on the HDMI In? If so, can you still use the TV Tuner with One guide as well?

4. As a total media Hub device, how would you all rate it? I can only sell it to the other half, if he can use it super easily. He hates suing the Dualshock on PS4 for media

Cheers

2. King Tones

King Tones
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18,395
    Yes you need a Kinect for Voice Command's. You can grab one from CEX for about £35

I think they work very well. I have only used it for navigation, loading games and in game and also Netflix and Youtube and it works well for me.

Anything will work via the HDMI in, I have a XBMC Media Player Connected to mine.
    Just say Xbox Go To TV and it should display what you have on the HDMI in.

I think it works quite well, you can get the media remote or use Smartglass to control the device.
    Also voice should work fine.

3. mklion123

mklion123
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,118
    I could be wrong but I didn't think SkyGo was available on Xbox One?

4. Houghsx

Houghsx
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,370
    With my favourite Franchise ever coming back on XBOX in a big way, Gears of War, im planning to pick up an XBO soon especially as prices have really plummeted since launch but i have some questions first.

1. do you need a Kinect to do voice commands? Guess i can pick up a cheap 2nd hand one rather than buying a new Bundle.

I had a kinect in my bundle but didnt really get into it so its packed away for the time being. Basically you can use the xbox absolutely fine without one with just the controller

2. How well do voice commands work? Does it work on things like SkyGo, Netflix, All4 ect?

It was a bit hit and miss having to repeat commands but others haven't had an issue ao maybe it was me. I didnt try it in netflix etc, just the direct xbox commands

3.Could i have my Mac Mini running on the HDMI In? If so, can you still use the TV Tuner with One guide as well?

Others can comment as I havnt used that side of things.

4. As a total media Hub device, how would you all rate it? I can only sell it to the other half, if he can use it super easily. He hates suing the Dualshock on PS4 for media

Not a problem, just pin the apps required to play the required media. I use the small official media remote that lights up when you pick it up which I like as most of my media consumption is in the dark.

5. Lama

Lama

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    I had a chromebox running on the HDMI In along with the TV Tuner.

The HDMI In appears as the last channel on the One guide (or go to BBC 1, channel 001 and move up 1)

6. Deleted member 92943

Deleted member 92943

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could the xbox also like my PS4 be on for like 10 hours a day off is being used for my TV watching? I assume they cope fine with the heat?

7. King Tones

King Tones
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18,395
    I have had mega gaming sessions on my Xbox One and it's never got noticeably hot or loud.

The good thing with it being nice and big with a huge fan means it's near silent and nice and cool when running for long periods.

8. iwb100

iwb100
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,225
    That is pretty much what the Xbox One was designed for. Far more so than the PS4. It won't blink being on 10 hours a day. At least not in my experience.

9. Houghsx

Houghsx
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,370
    Xbox is big and as a result has a big fan to. Keeps things cool and quiet, in fact my Xbox makes more noise off due to the power brick fan. This is with no ambient noise (it lives in my bedroom) so if its in the living room its not going to be an issue.

10. Deleted member 92943

Deleted member 92943

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you still have to have a Silly Avatar character when you set up a profile or is that not required now?

11. Houghsx

Houghsx
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,370
    I didn't do one.

12. Nemesis X2

Nemesis X2
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,845
    Is that a deal breaker then.... ;)

Console is great by the way. Personally I love Kinect for voice commands and subtle in game benefits like directing sat nav in FH2, quick changes in fifa or head tracking when hiding in lockers etc in Alien for example.

13. Lostsoul 301281

Lostsoul 301281

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,814
    Kinect is pretty much dead now.
    Microsoft aren't even pushing it in adverts.
    Notice that it doesn't even appear with the console when pictured?

IMO, just jump in.
    Grab one in time for Gears remastered and check out some of the other great games already available.
    You won't regret it.

14. Jim Di Griz

Jim Di Griz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,299
    Fallout 4 and backwards compatibility were enough to convince me. Im not a big games player but I love Fallout 3 and NV and simply dont want to play it on a PC or on a PS4 with that nasty controller. Ill be picking up the 1TB one just before November I think.

15. Waynej

Waynej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,367
    I don't think the 1TB model is worth the premium over the original 500GB model, the saving you make by not getting the new 1TB model means you could buy a 2TB external HDD (in addition to the internal 500GB) or get a bundle that includes Kinect. Kinect can be had for avg. of £30 on here or elsewhere which is probably better value.

16. Jim Di Griz

Jim Di Griz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,299
    Ill get the 1TB one anyway and get an external HDD later on if I need it! :)

17. Waynej

Waynej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,367
    Fair enough, my point was is that there's no value in doing so. Still, if you're eyeing it up for November then pricing might narrow or the 500GB model may phase out at which point the 1TB becomes standard.

They have made some small changes to the console that may or not be of interest to you. It reminds me of the subtlties between the launch Xbox 360 Premium and Core consoles with regards to one having a chrome DVD tray and the other not.

The original 500GB model Xbox One does feature a chrome slot-loader BD drive, whereas the 1TB sports a black one matching the case more prominently, as well as having a matte finish on the top case instead of the original's gloss.

With all that said, I actually would prefer the design of the 1TB model myself, as I don't use discs for the most part so would like the fact that the drive is not highlighted on the front.

18. Jim Di Griz

Jim Di Griz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,299
    Any difference in the controller?

Im in no rush for the Xbox One and quite happy to wait until November, not a question of money - more a question of time to play it (and no Fallout 4 until November!).

19. Waynej

Waynej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,367
    Yeah, the controller packaged with the new 1TB console will be the new model pad, which includes a jack for headphones so the Xbox Stereo adaptor is not required. It does save you having to buy the add-on and volume levels can be adjusted in the Xbox OS.

I believe the new pad is also sold seperatly.

20. Deleted member 92943

Deleted member 92943

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your replies guys.

Personally i think that if i pick up an XBOX with media remote, TV Tuner and cheap kinect 2.0 that it will totally do ALL of my media in one place. Gaming wise it would be simply just a Gears of War console.

Because i hardly play games anymore and Im fine with a steady stream of Gears games going forward, i feel that the PS4 is going to become a bit redundant.

Think ive decided that the Vita is going to go and fund towards the XBOX, While a great piece of Tech, Sony themselves are not really supporting it anymore, so i think the writing is on the wall for it.

21. Jim Di Griz

Jim Di Griz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,299
    Silly question here. I seem to remember a problem with 5.1 optical when the X1 came out? I take it that this got fixed ages ago right?

22. King Tones

King Tones
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18,395
    Dolby Digital ?
    Yeah that's all sorted now I believe

23. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26,419
    You need Kinect for upcoming Cortana intergration, which should open up new possibilities for voice/XB1 interactions

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  24. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,095
    At launch the only 5.1 you could get via optical was DTS which caused issues for many using DD headsets but they fixed it March last year so it can also output DD5.1

25. Jim Di Griz

Jim Di Griz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,299
    As long as I can plug it in to the amp like the 360 Ill be happy! Ive got an optical switcher already.

26. Deleted member 92943

Deleted member 92943

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, i've totally moved over.

PS4 and Vita all gone and now with an xbox with Kinect. So far im really impressed

27. Deleted member 92943

Deleted member 92943

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone advise me on Kinnect. Voice works perfectly when on the dash because there's no background noise but doesn't pick my voice up at all on TV Channels on the tuner or movies

Tried the calibration test and did what it asked but to no avail

28. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,474
    Often the key to this is in the calibration test it asks you to turn up the volume. Well, when it does, make sure it is loud. This is isolating the sound from your speakers so it can ignore it, and in my experience, I don't need to raise my voice to issue voice commands even with sound from my speakers.

29. iwb100

iwb100
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,225
    It depends on your living room setup hugely. Where are your speakers in relation to kinect? With sound on you have to speak loudly and clearly usually. My kinect is right on top of my speaker now after a needed rearrangement. Previously they were far apart and I had no issues unless the room was literally full of people talking. But now with the kinect so close to the speaker I find myself having to mute before the voice command sometimes, or speaking very loudly.

30. Deleted member 92943

Deleted member 92943

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah ok, Thanks guys

My Kinnect is sitting ontop of my Sonos Playbar currently which doesn't help. I'll give your suggestions a try and report back