Potential Lyngdorf TDAI-1120 Purchase - First-time Hi-Fi User

Mar555

Standard Member
Hi Community,
Looking to purchase my decent first hi-fi setup and just bought a pair of PSB Alpha T20s. From what I have read on these forums, the Lyngdorf TDAI-1120 may be perfect for what I am looking for. Integrated amp and streamer capable of playing streaming music, audio from my TV for live sports, my CD collection and (hopefully) input from my iPod classic for on-demand listening. No plans to integrate a sub or center channel speaker, so pure 2.0 setup.

Issue is, I am moving to a new apartment where the room will be quite unforgivable (hardwood throughout, large banks of windows with no treatments) and I will be limited to how loud I can play my system given I have neighbors on all sides.

For a first-time hi-fi newbie, would the Lyngdorf TDAI-1120 be a good option for my PSB Alpha T20s if I have to play my music at a more subdued volume?

Also looking at the Cambridge Evo 150 but like the Room Perfect as it seems like it would cover up any room-based flaws I wouldn't easily be able to correct otherwise.
I believe the Lyngdorf would be sufficient to drive my modest Alpha T20s, but not entirely sure. Any advice or input from the excellent minds of this group would be greatly appreciated.

larkone

It will be fine with your PSBs. I use a an 1120 in a large kitchen diner with no soft surfaces (apart form the humans and cats) and large windows . Previous systems were horrible because of all of the reflections. RoomPerfect completely solved the problem. Go for it, you will not be disappointed.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
The 1120 is excellent at every job it is designed for. And for the room you mention RoomPerfect is heaven sent. I wouldn’t hesitate.

The Lyngdorf has more than enough current to deal with the PSBs and RP gives you some considerable leeway in set up for low volume listening.

It’s a bit of an overkill amp for the speakers, but you’ll certainly hear them and your room at the best they can be.

Ps, as ever with wooden or concrete floors, a huge thick rug is a must if at all possible. Wool or felt being best.

Mar555

Standard Member
@Paul7777x , @larkone - thank you both so much for taking the time to give your valuable insight and feedback. A large wool 6x9 rug will be in the listening space as that will be the first action.

Great to know that with the Lyngdorf I would have the best result even at lower volumes. You have made my decision very easy - thank you!

Ascotbilly

@Mar555 - Sorry for stating the obvious but you will need a separate CD Player. From memory you can connect a iPod classic to most amps using a 3mm mini jack lead. However the quality of the recording from back in the day(mp3 etc) will be very exposed as a poor recording with that set up. Probably best off listening to those tracks on streamer

Tom @ Cinehome

AVForums Sponsor
As has been mentioned, no issues with driving your speakers from an 1120. It will out perform the Cambridge product by some margin. Your combination of large areas of glass and hardwood floors would be very challenging without room correction and RoomPerfect will deal with these potential issues in an automated, straightforward way yielding great results.

Quality is consistent across the volume range, one of the many things I love about the TDAi's.

Best, Tom

Mar555

Standard Member
@Ascotbilly - thank you for the clarification - definitely on my list to order along with the Lyngdorf. Researching the best cd transporter options now. @Tom @ Cinehome - thank you for the feedback on my specific setup - not a lot of user-based feedback on the TDAI's that I could find so your insight and others on this thread has been invaluable! Thank you!

DT79

Distinguished Member

Ascotbilly

@Mar555 Some good deals on the 600 and 800 Denon models.

At similar prices the Rotel A11 & A14 and Marantz CD6007 are well rated.

Ascotbilly

Your welcome, personally I love the industrial brick sh*thouse build of the Denon’s.
The Rotel and Marantz are much more streamlined and slimmer profiles.
Looking forward to seeing what kit you buy in the end…

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
I’m not entirely, or even very much at all, convinced that a dedicated cd transport isn’t just a way of saving the price of implementing a decent dac and analogue circuits to a CD player.

But, if you’d prefer a transport only there are a few options, this seems to be popular:

As does this:

Both are no doubt excellent bit extractors.

But then so are all modern CD players with a digital out.

Like this

With the price difference paying nearly half of, say, the price of a BK XLS200.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
If you play Blu-rays as well as CDs, then I’d be sorely tempted by one of these. A superb multi format player, award winning everywhere and top class build quality.

Also a couple of extra digital inputs to add to the Lyngdorf, and a couple of USB inputs if that might ever be useful.

Also a formidable SACD player and HDCD decoder if you can find or own any HDCD discs.

Tassin

You could also consider ripping your CD collection and store the FLAC files on a USB drive, either directly attached or via UPnP. Might be a time consuming job if you have a large collection.

Mar555

Standard Member
Happy Holidays all - I wanted to thank this group for the excellent advice and recommendation of the Lyngdorf TDAI-1120. I spent the last few days setting up my 1120 with my PSB Alpha T20s. Also paired it with a Yamaha CD-S303 purchased at the same time. It is my first time buying any decent equipment and setting up my positioning, so I have been trying to take my time.

I am extremely pleased and impressed with the result and am enjoying all my listening sessions more and more. Spent several takes at RoomPerfect, creating a few different focal points within my apartment. When compared to the default (bypass), Roomperfect seems to provide more detail and clarity in the focal position, kind of opening up the sound all around me in a way. I was initially concerned room correction didn't yield the benefits I was hoping for - bypass seemed focused and a bit "stronger" - but after subsequent listens, it seems that without RoomPerfect, the sound is focused but compressed. RoomPerfect opens everything up all around my listening position, often dramatically so.

CDs sound excellent and so far have only used Vtuner (so much fun exploring stations) - but beyond excited to start diving into HD streaming options - still trying to figure that out and what will be best. Next steps will be to figure out how to get my iPod tracks onto USB and setting up my Frame TV with HDMI eARC.

Attached are a few pictures of what Roomperfect was up against in my apartment. Even with the banks of treatment-less windows, the sound is impressive from the 1120 and my PSB's perform admirably given their size. Low-volume listening is wonderful as well and allows me to enjoy my 1120 so much more than I thought I would. Had it going for 14 or so hours over the last few days as my wife and I listened to Vtuner holiday channels and played our CDs - loved every minute.

Thanks again for the great advice, insight and support from this group!

Attachments

• 20211227_000020.jpg
    20211227_000020.jpg
    275.1 KB · Views: 183
  • 20211226_235921~2.jpg
    20211226_235921~2.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 183

gava

Congrats on your new system. Enjoy!! :thumbsup:

mickbirch2000

CDs sound excellent and so far have only used Vtuner (so much fun exploring stations)
I was going to recommend " All Oldies Radio" as one of the best sounding streaming radio stations in the UK, streaming at AAC 355kbps, but then noticed you are in New York. I will still recommend it & if you are of a certain age & can stream it via Vtuner you may enjoy superb sound quality.

Mar555

Standard Member
I was going to recommend " All Oldies Radio" as one of the best sounding streaming radio stations in the UK, streaming at AAC 355kbps, but then noticed you are in New York. I will still recommend it & if you are of a certain age & can stream it via Vtuner you may enjoy superb sound quality.
Thank you - I am definitely going to try and check that out!

Tassin

You should also give RP a try. RP, Radio Paradise that is. After all, makes very much sense to listen to RP through Lyngdorf RP, right? ;)

The only drawback of listening to RP is that it has become very difficult to listen to commercial stations with all their commercial breaks and talking. They have 4 different mixes and if you create a free account you can build a list of favorites which you can then cast/airplay to your 1120. Btw, Bluesound has this feature built into their PowerNode and Node.

Mar555

Standard Member
@Tassin - thanks for the tip, going to check that out. All, investigating streaming options based on the search threads but for those that have the 1120, what are the best streaming options for the best possible sound quality? Trying to decide between streaming subscriptions, but want to make sure I pick the option that enables playback with the 1120 in high-res format. Buy TIDAL subscription to playback in the 1120's supported Chromecast option? Or, buy a dedicated streamer like a Bluesound if I want to subscribe to other streaming services? Also see that the 1120 supports Roon - would investing in a Nucleus be a good option? Apologies for the various questions, just trying to find the option that has worked well for others. Thank you all.

Tassin

Hi-Res ... now you've entered some swampy territory.

Some will want to stone me, but Spotify's 320 kbps is good enough. And if you think you need a higher bitrate, you can go Apple Music. Save the money for something more valuable. Your room, speakers, amp and of course the master version are way more important. Try to test yourself whether you hear the difference between 320 kbps and CD, then between CD and hi-res.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
Can anyone give me an imbeciles guide to running Qobuz on Roon through the 1120 please? Specifically if I can set volume levelling using Roon, as Qobuz does not offer it.

I’ve had enough of waiting for Spotify to join even the cd rate offerings of others.

Cebolla

No idea how to get Roon going on the 1120, but I do know that Qobuz have privately been providing Roon the necessary volume levelling data for at least 2 years (despite it still not being available in Qobuz's own software or in third party applications via the official Qobuz API) - so you should be ok as far as that is concerned:
1640815694204.png

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
Top news. Cheers sir👍👍

There is an input on the 1120 that rejoices in the name of Roon Ready...

I assume I’ll have to wiggle it about a bit and see what happens when I’m ready with my playlist swaps from Spotify to Qobuz.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on Netflix UK for June 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Triangle announces new wireless Borea Active bookshelf speakers
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Cleer Audio announces Arc earbuds
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
iFi Audio launches new Go bar portable DAC/headphone amp