Potential for a Vita ..?

Discussion in 'PS Vita Forum' started by Qactuar, Aug 1, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Qactuar

Qactuar
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,486
    I'm thinking carefully about my next gaming purchase, and I think the Vita could be a good shout, though a bit like the 3DS (which I am also considering), I am a bit concerned about the general lack of titles at the moment.

I do have a PC for more hardcore gaming, but my Xperia S for games is a bit frustrating, so would prefer something with analogue sticks etc.

The 3DS feels too small, and the XL has only one analogue stick (weird!), but I do like them. However, apart from occasional games, I did fall out of love with my DSL and DSi XL over time, as there were a lot of crappy games of a similar nature.

Plus, being forced to use the stylus wasn't always fun.

What could sway me, is the potential for Final Fantasy via the online store (PSN) - are FF7/8/9 all available with the Vita? Or would this require older systems, i.e. the Go and PSP?

I also understand there is backward compatibility with the PSP, but am I right in thinking only with digital purchases, due to lack of UMD drive? And that a 32GB stick would be needed?

New/used, well, not too much of a bother, due to redundancy and a new job lined up, but I guess going via FS/FT here would be a smart idea if I want to take a punt...

Any thoughts are welcome, though I do recognise that most hand-held forums here are a bit quiet at times :) Cheers!

2. splinters69

splinters69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +705
    Right Foxy...I am a man who can speak from experience. Three Vita's, Four 3Ds', four PSP's including two Go's, each iPad version....just got rid of a Nexus 7...currently have a PSP Go, iPad 3 and awaiting my third Vita tomorrow.
    For the record I am an early adoptor...see what all the fuss is about, sell on while prices are still high...buy again once prices drop/game library increases etc.

I had a 16gb Vita and had around 3gb free. I preferred to buy physical games so my card was full of PSN and PSP games. You dont need a 32gb unless you plan an assault on the PSN store or want to buy digital versions of new games...which is a bit daft as you can get a used copy of Uncharted for £15 while online it is still £30+
    I had 7 of the free games that came with my PSP Go plus Ratchet and Clank and a few minis. Nearly all of the first wave of downloadable games; Escape Plan, Motorstorm, Hustle Kings, Super Stardust etc.

So, why the Vita.
    Well, having had each and every Nintendo handheld since the Gameboy pocket, I got bad eyestrain from the 3DS, played all the decent games and moved on anxiously waiting for the XL as I thought it would cure that problem....didn't like it. Looks quite cheap IMO like a childs toy not a £180 handheld.
    It really is not worth £100 more than you can get a 3DS for used. If you want a 3DS, get a used one. Red and white versions are rather nice.
    My PSP Go is brilliant, can play just about any emulator or homebrew. Its my pocket toy...good for messing around with both in terms of games and hacking etc.
    Nexus was a beast in terms of graphics...played Shadowgun and Dead Trigger with a Dualshock. Rooted it can do allsorts...has a great future...BUT...I have an iPad 3 and the bigger screen wins every time for me.
    To be honest, I wouldn't have bought another Vita but did a straight swap with the Nexus for a bundle worth more than I could have got for selling it. The only reason I am thinking of keeping it is the amount of PSN games I bought that cannot run on the PSP Go (plus I still have the LBP Beta and the nice free Wipeout DLC!)
    I can't see me selling the PSP Go; I am one of the few who love the design of it and think it is very underated; plus they are hard to find with a 16gb M2 card in pristine condition....but the Vita is also a lovely bit of design; as powerful (graphically) as the Nexus, with a gorgeous 5" OLED screen. Seeing Rayman on it was a system seller for me and Gravity Rush is superb.

So, I enjoyed my rant/feedback/advice.
    I have had everything and strangely excited about the Vita arriving tomorrow....those dual sticks really are great and it has all the same tech (aside from the 3D) of the 3DS only much more powerful...then again Ninty has Mario, Zelda etc.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  3. splinters69

splinters69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +705
    Bet you wish you never asked eh?

Some good deals in the classifieds but watch out the mods can be a pain...:rolleyes:
    Currently one ups with card and two games for £150.
    Unbelieveably a 16gb Wi-Fi version sold for £119 + delivery last week!!

Final Fantasy...no idea but there is a trick of downloading games to a PS3 and transferring games over...apparently all PSP games can run on the Vita even if they arent in the store. This presumes you have a PS3 of course.

UMD's are good for your PSP or the bin...everything for Vita is cartridge (Vita titles) or digital (Vita, PSP and minis via PSN).

Apparently, remote play is coming for several titles and the next firmware (due any time) will allow playing PS1 classics from the store.

I am not sure about the future of the Vita but if you can get one cheap enough its a decent upgrade from a PSP with enough power to keep it 'cutting edge' handheld gaming for a few years.

4. Qactuar

Qactuar
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,486
    No PS3 here, but if the firmware update allows the PS1 classics, FF7/8/9 are in the store and I will gladly invest in those without pausing for breath.

My concern, is that PSP games take up memory card space and will do so quickly if I do indeed raid the PSN store (likely). However, am I right in assuming that I can re-download anything I will have purchased on the store, if I wipe from the card?

I do love the Nintendo exclusives, but I've "done" the DS thing and don't think I want the 3DS, as the backward compatible games are DS - ones I have no more desire to play! At least with the Vita, the backwards games are PSP - a system I have never owned - and the PS1, with a lot of games I can't easily emulate without crap interfaces on my Xperia S.

While waiting for newer titles, I think the PSN games would suffice :) I just don't know enough about Sony's distribution systems to know if I will be caught with my pants down (so to speak!).

5. splinters69

splinters69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +705
  6. Qactuar

Qactuar
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,486
    So really I am finding no reason not to look at the Vita as a system with a rather large catalogue of games that I can pool into ... ?

And I would be right in assuming therefore, that there is no way to buy up old PSP games (that are physical and on UMD) and get those onto the PC? I would hazard a guess that PSP games are cheaper in physical form, than in digital form, no?

Lots of questions, sorry :) I just want to be crystal clear before I take the plunge and have always fancied looking into a lot of the PSP games catalogue, without having to own two systems.

7. ODB_69

ODB_69
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,634
    If you do go for this you need to get on the store fast as there are loads of bargains at the mo for the PSP vita compatible games...plus a couple of the Vita 'mini' games too.

Personally I love my Vita. I have been relatively quiet on it but I'm all over it for Foosball now

8. Qactuar

Qactuar
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,486
    Ah yes, the old PSN store :) Can't see prices unless you're logged in with an account, right?

While I am busy signing up for an account during my month-end at work, what bargains are we talking about here?

(I'm almost decided as well; even bought the better half a nice pearl bracelet to butter her up before I tell her soon what I am intending to buy!)

9. ODB_69

ODB_69
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,634
    Well I'd say currently the bargains for me are:

Hustle Kings & Top Darts (Vita). Only issue here is on Vita store they are full price, you need to buy them via a PS3.

All the GTA's for £11.97 whcih IMHO is an utter bargain!

FULL SALE LIST:

PS3 Games

Fifa 12 - £24 (Free euro 2012 for ps+ subscribers)
    LA Noire Complete - £19.49 PS+ £16.57
    LA Noire - £13.99 PS+ £11.89
    Midnight club La - £13.99 PS+ £10.49
    Payday the heist £7.99 Wolfpack bundle £12.99 PS+ £10.39
    Zack Zero £3.99 PS+ £1.20
    Toy Story 3 £11.99
    Cars 2 £11.99
    Real Steel £4.49 PS+ £2.25
    EUfloria £3.19 PS+ £2.55
    Toy Story 2 (PS1 classic) £1.99
    Burger Time world tour £3.19 PS+ £2.55
    Hydrophobia Prophecy £1.19 PS+ £1.07
    TNT Racers £3.99
    Crazy machines elements £3.99

Playstation Classics (Compatible with PSP and PS3 and soon PSVita)

Toy Story 1+2 bundle PS1 classic £3.99
    A bugs life and Monsters inc bundle PS1 Classic £2.99
    Arc the Lad PS1 classic £1.99 PS+ £1.59
    Monsters Inc Scare island ps1 classic £1,99
    A bugs life ps1 classic £1.19
    Toy Story Racer PS1 classic £2.39
    Buzz Lightyear of star command PS1 classic £1.99

PSP Games (Some state compatible with Vita unsure if all games are compatible)

GTA chinatown wars PSP + Vita £3.99
    GTA liberty city stories PSP + Vita £3.99
    GTA Vice City stories PSP + Vita £3.99
    Harvest Moon Hero of leaf valley PSP + Vita £5.49 PS+ £4.94
    Midnight club LA Remix PSP + Vita £3.19
    The Warriors PSP £3.19
    Mdinight club 3 Dub collection PSP + Vita £3.19
    Manhunt 2 PSP £3.19
    Cars Race o Rama PSP £3.99
    Disney pixar cars PSP + vita £3.99
    Disney pixar double pack bundle toy story 3 and cars PSP + Vita £6.49
    Toy Story 3 PSP + Vita £3.99
    Half Minute hero PSP + Vita £4.25 PS+ £4.04
    Innocent Life PSP + Vita £3.69 PS+ £3.32
    Valhalla Knights PSP + Vita £3.19 ps+ £2.87
    Valhalla knights 2 PSP + Vita £3.99 PS+ £3.59
    Valahalla Knights 2 Battle Stance PSP + Vita £5.19 PS+ £4.67
    Blazing Souls Accelate PSP + Vita £9.99 PS+ £8.49
    Beaterator PSP + Vita £3.19

Wall E Avatar bundle £0.40
    Monsters Inc avatar bundle £0.40
    Lion King avatar bundle £0.40

However this will change after 4 days so you have 3 days left to get these before the next change

10. Qactuar

Qactuar
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,486
    My problem is not owning a PS3 ... !

And I have created an account, but finding the store doesn't seem as easy as I would like it to be :) Typical n00bish errors, eh.

11. ODB_69

ODB_69
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,634

Unfortunately in Sony's infinite wisdom they havent put the store online like MS have therefore you can only buy from the store via a compatible item (ie PS3) :(

12. Qactuar

Qactuar
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,486
    Yep just realised that now :) Oh well! It's a bit of a pain though, as prices and availability will determine how soon I purchase. Not being able to buy some games for my account now is an oversight in my opinion, but I guess that's how it has to be.

Will see if I can activate my phone as a device and try that way ...

13. ODB_69

ODB_69
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,634
    if you setup your account online if you know anyone with a PS3 you can start up and sign in in a few mins? Buy it there and cancel the download. Will register to your account so you can ust view purchase history and re-download at a later stage

14. RottenFox

RottenFox
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,289
    What, the store is on the PC, it's called Media Go, has been for a while now.
    Sign in, buy an item, and then download it on the Vita(should be on the download list), not too sure if you can download on pc, and transfer with the Content Manager Assistant for PC though(worked on PSP)

Features - Media Go - Sony Network Entertainment

http://cma.dl.playstation.net/cma/win/gb/index.html

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  15. Qactuar

Qactuar
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,486
    Yeah the site allows me to activate other Sony devices but not mobile. Groan!

Nobody I know has a PS3, typical :) It's not the end of the world as we know it, but it is things like this (oversights!) that can get on my tits at times. It's not just Sony, though - loads of firms do it!

16. Qactuar

Qactuar
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,486
    So if I install this, I can buy various games to transfer at a later date, yes?

This would be great! I guess it's a bit like iTunes in that respect?

17. ODB_69

ODB_69
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,634

Can you buy stuff from the full PS3 store though??

Still no good for me, its a software download. No good on a closed system (ie work). Should be like XBL

18. RottenFox

RottenFox
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,289
    You can buy stuff, then should be able to download directly on the Vita.

@ODB, Hm...looking at their site now, it's all targetted at their phones, so I guess it's a mobile store, but wouldn't hurt to install it and see.

19. Qactuar

Qactuar
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,486
    It seems to suggest that it has PSP compatible games on the Media Go suite, but I am at work and can't install anything here, so not to worry - will try at home later and over the weekend.

Cheers for the help!

20. RottenFox

RottenFox
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,289
    Just installed it, and checked, and PS1 games, PSP games, PSP minis, music/videos, etc can be bought via PC and downloaded on the Vita, PSP, phones, tablets, but Vita demos/titles aren't showing up any more, so support for them has gone.

21. Qactuar

Qactuar
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,486
    Great thanks for that :) Good to know that there is a PC store front too! :thumbsup:

22. RottenFox

RottenFox
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,289
    Mainly for PSP games, or minis, for the Vita, buy them on PC, download later on Vita, from your downloads list, and when they update the Vita for PS1 games, I guess the same will go for them too.

Check the compatibility first though, some titles might not work.

23. Qactuar

Qactuar
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,486
    Yeah I just wanted an ability to buy things without needing the device first, so this works for me, especially as most Vita game purchases will be physical media, so not fussed about the online store for those at present :D

As mentioned before, my PSOne aims are Final Fantasy's seven to nine. PSP, well, there are quite a few good'uns out there I believe ...

24. RottenFox

RottenFox
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,289
    The God of War's are good, as is are the y's titles..

25. Qactuar

Qactuar
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,486
    The what now? ;)

Edit: I see, "Y's" being a franchise per se. Fail on my behalf, there!

26. splinters69

splinters69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +705
    I will second the god of war titles...brilliant.

Go one, get yourself a bargain in the classifieds. Got mine this morning, just downloading all my own titles.

27. figoagogo

figoagogo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    Having has the Vita for a month I can confirm its like having a very poweful but small console in your hands!

I like it, it has twin sticks which is a MUST and should have been on the last gen handhelds, the screen and touch sensitivity is a delight to use. The ergonomics are far better than the PSP which gave me cramp quickly.

I know its perhaps irrelevant buy little apps like Twitter/Facebook/Youtube are also nice

There are a few issues that I would like resolving ASAP:

The browser is awful, and a useful browser would be great
    No BBC iplayer/lovefilm/Netflix - all stuff I use on the PS3 and would like on the Vita
    PS+ - would be nice to include this, in a smiliar way to the PS3, free games, updates etc
    ...I think all of these will happen soon

No drag and drop - to get MP3/Movies/Pics on to the Vita is a real chore, awful software, and not easy to get movies in the limited format it uses!

Another great bonus of the Vita is that is breathes new life into PSP games, it really does make them look great, bigger screen, nice colours - so they are a worthy investment, and Sony seems to have pricing right on these.

28. Qactuar

Qactuar
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,486
    I'm almost there. Girlfriend delighted with her pearls (she's had a full set off me now lol), so it'll bode well for me to chip into the house/wedding fund eh!

Downloading Media Go now ...

29. RottenFox

RottenFox
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,289
    Nice...Was it a pearl necklace you gave her? *Titter, Guffaw, Arf Arf......:rotfl:*

Surely enough to warrant a measly Vita out of her..

@ mattrixdesign2, The US have Netflix, and you can too, it's a wee bit of a faff to get it on your Vita, but it does work.

30. Qactuar

Qactuar
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,486
    Oh how you jest! But you, sir, are correct - she got a pearl necklace for her birthday recently ;-) hehe! Matches her earrings and bracelet hahaha!