Potential First Timer Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by CyberJockey, Aug 3, 2005.

1. CyberJockey

CyberJockey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is my first posting on this forum (which rocks by the way) and the whole PJ area is new to me, so apologies for any stupid questions.

I recently borrowed a business projector for the weekend and connected it to my 6 year old son's Playstation. He was blown away with it, and not surpringly is keen for us to get one ;) . Even my wife who is really unintertested in this sort of stuff was impressed.

Anyway, I am now looking at getting a projector for my Son's playroom. It will be mostly used for gaming, but I would also like to watch DVDs occassionally.

The challenage I have is that my son's play room is long and narrow, but I can only throw the image width ways (due to doors and windows). The width of the room is 10ft, so I need a projector that can project a reasonably large clear image, which can be viewed 7-8 ft away. I can block out daylight, but would prefer that he did not have to sit in complete darkness to play his games.

My budget is up to £900, but would be happy to spend much less if possible :D .

I had looked at an InFocus 5000, which on paper seemed good to me, but I have seen mixed comments about them on this forum and the SP4850, despite it's lower resolution, came up more favourably.

Any advice and gudance on what I should buy would be greatly appreciated.

2. booktrunk

booktrunk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    What about the Sanyo Z3, £850ish with a voucher for a spare bulb?

Or if your family can all cope with rainbows i've seen the Themescene 4805 also around £850.

EDIT: Also if you can handle the rainbow effect then the BenQ PB2140 for £471 from Amazon seems to be a good deal, it's a dirt cheap starter projector.

Failing that how about an advert in the wanted section here on AVForums for £5-600 can get a decent projector, or how about a slightly older one for £300-400 second hand.

3. CyberJockey

CyberJockey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So you wouldn't rate the SP5000 for £900? I liked the sound of WXGA res...with native widescreen?

If I got a cheaper projector with SGA - do you think we would notice the difference? Also is it worth going for native Widescreen? - I have just looked at the BenQ PB2140 and I don't think it is widescreen.

Again, aplogies for the basic questions.

4. booktrunk

booktrunk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    see if you can get a demo between it the Panny 700 and the Z3.

But remember the Z3 is £100+ cheaper and with a bulb voucher. So no worrying about the bulb going as you'll have a spare.

I don't know which is best. I've not seen the infocus, but i'd happily spend £1k on the panny when I move house (buying a house at the moment!!). Only think that stops me getting the panny or maybe the Z3 is I want to see a demo of the £1500 BenQ 7700 or 2700 whichever one it is.

5. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    Am I the only one finding this an amusing thread considering it's for a 6yr old?

Perhaps I'm getting old. A worn out case football was good enough in my day...PJ :D

6. CyberJockey

CyberJockey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Saying it's for my 6 year old is the only way I can convince my wife to get one ;) . Seriously, I will be using it a great deal also.

7. Goth

Goth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd say go 4 the Z3 or the AE700 as they'll both accept the new console res's natively. So you'll have a HD ready PJ and it'll give U an excuse to get the Xbox 360 or the PS3!!

Cheers

J.