1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

(Potential) Big Trouble in Little Projector (PLV30)

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by AlfaKhan, Aug 26, 2001.

1. AlfaKhan

AlfaKhan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I need help here.

Got a PLV30 Friday. Still waiting for the new DVD player (Toshiba 900).

I connected the old DVD player I have (Philips 930) through a composite connection. All went well while playing Region 2 discs but when I changed to Region 1 discs (this involves a through the remote code hacking on the player) the picture displayed by the PLV30 was also perfect but in black and white.

<br />I tried to manually (as oposite to AUTO detection)select the video signal fed to the projector, using the ON-SCREEN MENU, but to no avail.

Cannot try componet or even S-Video connections for the moment due to lack of proper cables.

The Philips works flawssly with my 32" Sony Wega <br />(although through a Scart-Scart connection).

I checked the PLV30 manual for some explanatory note but found nothing.

Is this a fault of the PLV30? Is it its nature?<br />It would be big trouble for me if the there is any limitation on the PLV to display correct NTSC signal from an hacked player, since 75%+ of my DVDs are R1.

Help, plz...

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have to admit i had and still have a few teething problems as well! When i 1st recieved the sanyo.... it took nearly 2 hours to get it to recognise a signal despite being set correctly from the start! I still have the nuisance of having to go and change the input from svid to composite when not watching dvds....it would be nice if 'auto' really did mean auto! I havent had any problems like that which you suggest.....i do at times get a black screen with a lighter black bar down the center when i am expecting the blue screen and on occasion the sanyo will still fail to recognise its input.....but all fairly minor.

Not much use to you I guess, but lets u know that these things do seem to happen!

Ad

3. jason t

jason t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    hi did you try adjusting the input from pal to ntsc?<br />i have an american pioneer dvd player and it works perfect on my plv 30

jason

4. AlfaKhan

AlfaKhan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Buns and Jason, txs for the replies.

This is a total mistery. Today a picked up a borrowed software-hacked Yamaha DVD and the PLV30 worked fine, both in composite and S-VHS. It automatically recognized the incoming colour signal. I didn't even had to use MANUAL selection.

Back on the Philips and it happened again! Image from R1 discs is displayed in black&white. Manual selection of incoming NTSC will not alter the result.

Another thing is also strange. The Philips has a small push-button in the back to switch the OSD (...and only the OSD) btw NTSC and PAL. When used, it has no effect through the composite connection, meaning that if the "remote-hack" has changed the player into R2 the OSD appears in colour, regardless of switch position. When R1 code is again entered via the remote, the OSD remains B&W regardless of switch position.

I had not the leads to try a Scart-SVHS connection, though...

Can only assume the "remote-hack" codes on the Philips have some limitations.

I just hope there will be no issues around this with the eagerly anticipated Tosh 900...

Regards.

5. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Whjat is the Philips set to output? If it's not set right in it's menu this may be the problem.

6. AlfaKhan

AlfaKhan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi Richard,

There is nothing to adjust on the Philips menu regarding coulor signal. Txs for the input.

I don't mind anyaway, since the Philips is going out now, after 2 1/2 years of loyal service...Just puzzled, that's all.

7. EddyHorn

EddyHorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    When switching the 930 to R1 with the remote hack it also switches output to S-video which will appear black and white if fed through composite. Since your getting rid of the 930 it doesn't matter but if you wanted to use it simply get a scart to s-video cable.

8. AlfaKhan

AlfaKhan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Eddy,

...That must be it!

Txs.