1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

potential 7.1 speaker setup

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by tom_painter85, Feb 16, 2005.

1. tom_painter85

tom_painter85
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    morning all

just been hunting around and found a possible solution to my niggling upgraditis...

for a 7.1 setup (which i dont have an amp for.......yet :devil: ) you have, FL,C,FR,SR,RR,RL,SL.

my fronts and centre would be my tannoy fusion 3s and C respectively (obv.), but would the Fusion 1s i use as rears at the moment be more suitable for the Rear channels, or side channels?

perhaps a lot of this depends on location/orientation, but i find the Fusion 1s quite directional, so perhaps these would be better as rear channels and these as side channels. for £50, a cheap solution, and my system isnt fab anyway :rolleyes:

any and all feedback appreciated

kind regards

Tom

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    For the money the Wharfedales cant be beaten :D Use them as side speakers and the usion 1's as the rear speakers. Possibly the best setup :)

What amp ar eyou looking at getting?

3. tom_painter85

tom_painter85
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    When i get paid, it'll be a BK XLS200DF first, then, depending on various things (i.e. new house, etc :D ) the NAD T773, which is GORGEOUS. but i'm open to suggestions!

however, more powerful amp means i'll have to upgrade the speakers too...oh well...:devil:

thanks for the info dude

Tom

EDIT: didn't mean 'GORGEOUS' to sound quite that...hehem... :blush:

4. Diamond

Diamond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You shouldn't mix Wharf and Tannoy..?

5. tom_painter85

tom_painter85
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i'd been thinking about that...i'm going to have a listen (if i can) but although the wharfedales have a different sound, i do like it. and as its only for an effects channel, it shouldn't make too much difference....

Should it?

Tom

6. abnett26247

abnett26247
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have something like you and i found this, i have for fronts tannoy revolution r2 s floorstanders and matching centre, for the rears the same,two r2s .. for the sides ive tannoy fusion 2s (as they havethe same/similar driver set up as the revolutions so say tannoy)BUT i also have and tried the wharfedales 18 s at £49 i thought they were worth a go to see if they worked better than the fusions, well no i prefer the 7.1 in tannoy through out,as for the wharfedales on the rear( and i tried them also on the side ) theydid not gel. and the 4 tannoy on the back will blow you away in my opinion. so im keeping the 7.1 all tannoy and it sounds a lot better then 5.1 by the way, so my advice stick to an all tannoy monopole set up but in 7.1 ie 4 at the back /sides. but its only my findings.and my opinion (abnett.) :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

7. tom_painter85

tom_painter85
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    abnett - cheers for that.
    like i said i'm not sure about whether to do it, but everyone seem to be putting me off...so i'll guess i'll take the advice. might just grab another pair of Fusion 1s for rears when i upgrade the amp - i got my current pair for £40, so i almost don't mind paying full price for the new ones :)

cheers all

Regards

Tom

8. abnett26247

abnett26247
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tom .hifibitz have fusion 2s at £109 posted black or apple. they have a much gutsier sound and might match you big fronts better?imho. thats the advice i got from them and i think they are correct ,they match the revolution r2 s very well indeed.rgrds. :smashin:

9. petarst

petarst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have also A NAD T773, i am call it a BEAST (every time when i want to move it from one position to another i got a pain in my back :) )

What can I say, I have listened for hours many receivers excpet arcam, (denon 3805, yamaha 2500, pioneer 10 etc...)
    No one has a bass control on that level like the beast, they are all so funny in
    DVD-A , SACD when you want to listened louder, and if you are running whole set of speakers 7.1 only t773 can handle it, especially if the speakers are 6 omhs or 4 o (also other receivers worms up so sooner).

Yes i have had a mission m53 speakers , and after them i have bought a monitor audio silver series (complete line with s8,s1,slcr, and wharfedale sw150).
    Now this is the sistem which is one of the best sistem that i ever heard in that price range.

Weakness.... hmm 5000 euros...

CD player NAD cd542c
    DVD pioneer dvd 565a-s
    Ohlenbach cables, Vandenhul, Neotech,Monster cables are present in the sistem....

10. tom_painter85

tom_painter85
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    cheers for all the input guys, looks like i'll be hunting aroumd for some bargains in the near future. i was tempted by the T773 when i first started looking around, but culdn't justify spending a grand back then. but i'm thinking about it now. trouble is with the Fusion 2s and 3s, i'm not totally convinced they'd handle the 773's output, so i'd have to upgrade the whole of my speaker package, which will be even more expensive....i can dream...for now :D

cheers guys

tom