POTC: Dead Man's Chest 2-Disc Special Edition AQ?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by MST, Dec 30, 2006.

1. MST

MST

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Forgive me if this has already been mentioned, but on Christmas Day I received the 2-Disc Special Edition of Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest and on Boxing Day I sat down with the family to watch it. Having watched the film I thought it was pretty good; not quite as funny as The Curse of the Black Pearl but still one of the better releases of 2006. Although the one thing that struck me thoughout was the poor quality of the audio, at times some of the dialogue seemed inaudible, it's the first time I've ever seriously considered watching a DVD with the subtitles turned on! I kept my opinions to myself until yesterday when my Dad mentioned that he to had trouble understanding the dialogue, now it could just be a coincidence [maybe deafness runs in the family!] but I wondered whether anyone here thought the audio levels weren't quite up to scratch?

2. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    I have the R1 of this and had no problem with the dialog myself.

I remember when watching the R2 of the 1st POTC movie that I did increase the centre volume slightly as the music was a big overpowering at times.

Assuming you have the R2, did you try both the DD and DTS soundtracks?

How have you calibrated your speaker levels?

3. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,184
    No problems with my R2 on both DD and DTS.

4. MST

MST

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    We watched the film on my Dad's setup, which to be honest has probably never been calibrated since the day he bought it! I never thought of trying both soundtracks; I believe we watched it in DD. That said I thought that some of the dialogue was just plain hard to understand e.g. the scenes with Tia Dalma and Davy Jones' crew onboard the Flying Dutchman, but that's not necessarily the fault of the transfer. I believe that with the correct speaker calibration and soundtrack selection it would most likely sound fine, but out of the box there were parts where I couldn't understand a bloody word :rolleyes:

5. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,184
    With regard to Naomie Harris/Tia Dalma that was just the accent she used. I still understood what she said although some others had difficulty. I also had no problems with anyone aboard the Dutchman.