posture corrector/brace/device! any reccomendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

dyspraxicowl

Established Member
Reaction score
hi
bit of a silly one really
im a tall lad - over 6 foot, however my posture is awful, I stoop over my desk and I hardly ever stand up straight, my shoulders drop quite badly,
a lot of this is due to muscle tone and long term damage, my dr recommended I try some device/brace under my shirt, to pull my shoulders back - however he didn't recommend anything, im willing to try a cheapish one if needbe - from somewhere such as amazon (I have prime)

however if something works, I don't mind spending

any advice? (it would also make me look slimmer - which is nice!)

Excuses :p

I've got a metal knee held together with 4 titantium rods & 8 bolts. Which in turn, makes me right leg 1/4" smaller than my left, that makes me walk with a limp & bends my spine out of shape.

I also have shattered wrists from a motorbike crash in 2001' that makes any weight bearing exercise 'troublesome'.

You could always lie on your back and start by just lying down straight?

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Excuses :p
I also have shattered wrists from a motorbike crash in 2001' that makes any weight bearing exercise 'troublesome'.

You could always lie on your back and start by just lying down straight?
im not going to turn it into a injury contest.......but just this once
Fractured right shoulder blade (I cant recall the proper name)
both wrists multiple times (football and taekwondo)
left humerous
right kneecap fracture and bucket tear (hurt like hell - like dropping a biscuit - 4 operations to half sort it)
Left fib
Left ankle triple fusion.......will probably be bye bye leg one day.......
(im not counting fingers or ribs!!!!!)

trust me man, apart from cycling, exercise is pretty tough........
I did say at the start it was recommended by my doctor, perhaps orthopaedic surgeon was more correct!

Maybe you should contact the person who suggested the brace and ask for advice.

If it was me, I'd prefer to take the advice and informed opinion of a medical professional than the plumbers/electricians/developers/excel experts* in GC**.

Have a look into Alexander Technique.***

*And all other no medical professions.
**No offence to the people of GC. I often ask for, and receive, excellent advice.
*** I used to be in advertising. Not a doctor.

I think I would see a physio or a chiropractor.
I use one of these at work (work at a computer all damn day!) to help with some lower back issues. Haven't had any since I started using it as by default your back muscles are working to keep you from falling on the floor! :D

Any sort of brace is only going to exacerbate the problem on a long term basis, surely?

If you don't fancy exercising to fix the problem, a kneeling chair will help keep your shoulders back while at your desk.

hi
bit of a silly one really
im a tall lad - over 6 foot, however my posture is awful, I stoop over my desk and I hardly ever stand up straight, my shoulders drop quite badly,
a lot of this is due to muscle tone and long term damage, my dr recommended I try some device/brace under my shirt, to pull my shoulders back - however he didn't recommend anything, im willing to try a cheapish one if needbe - from somewhere such as amazon (I have prime)

however if something works, I don't mind spending

any advice? (it would also make me look slimmer - which is nice!)

What about shoulders, back, chest and hip flexor stretches? And or multi gym back press, lowest possible weight or even no added weight at all just bar and do 200 reps each time twice a week

Chaps, whilst the thread is vaguely interesting the advice borders on clinical/medical advice, none of which is permitted unless we have a registered chiropractor in the house.

@BB3Lions I never noticed your limp FWIW

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom