1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Postman left it on my doorstep...

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by Urotsukidoji, Nov 10, 2004.

1. Urotsukidoji

Urotsukidoji

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After having waited weeks for my dvd to arrive from dvdsoon, the postman left in on my doorstep, in a package with dvdsoon written on it. I live near a school, and when I came home all I found was the box :mad:

I didn't think the postmen leave packages outside a house? What can I do?

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    phone Post office CS number is in a book of stamps i think

3. Urotsukidoji

Urotsukidoji

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got off the phone and he tried to blame the canadian postal service as it came from canada and not the post office and it was their responsibility! I said thats rubbish, and after finding out the package was only worth $30, they agreed to refund my money:)

I wish dvdsoon wouldnt stick their bloody logo on the box.

4. Dave H

Dave H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    they used to put the DVD name on as well which was even worse ! I had three films stolen in as many months.

Dave.

5. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    If that happened to me, I would also ring my local sorting office and give them a severe bolloxing, because I doubt that your complaint to CS will filter down to the local office.

6. Throttle

Throttle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +106
    Is there not a customer complaint thing on royal mail site maybe :rolleyes:
    Not quite as bad but my order for halo 2 had been sent yesterday so i was waiting for postman he comes up path posts stuff yet no game :censored: so i go check my dads post (lol) who lives next door and he'd only gone and posted it there :censored: bit luck dont have it posted through some dodgy persons letterbox really aint it !

7. AlanL

AlanL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There seems to be no consistency to the action of postmen. Sometimes my DVD's are left on the doorstep in full view (somehow I've had nothing stolen yet), sometimes inside the back garden gate, and sometimes they just leave the card and take it back to the post office. The latter should always be the option.

8. dts borg

dts borg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I'm sure it states on the DVDSoon packet (Do NoT Leave Outside) :confused:
    Will check my next packet.

9. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    Out of interest - can you have it delivered to your place of work? i have a lot of things delivered to my office as there is always someone to sign for it etc.

just a thought

Gary

10. AlanL

AlanL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A new twist this morning - My copy of Friends series 8 from DVD Soon was delivered. The postman helpfully put the box in a bright red bag and hung it from my letter box, so it was probably visible to anyone within a half-mile radius. Fortunately I left home late today so I spotted it, otherwise it would have been there all weekend.

To answer a previous poster, DVD Soon parcels don't have "Do Not Leave Outside" on them, although it does say "Do Not Safe Drop", whatever that means.

11. leapfrog

leapfrog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've had many DVDs left on my doorstep or left by my gate, which is next to my door and a few times put over my fence to get soaked by rain.

There have been a few dvds that have been shipped by the retailer, but I have never received, most likely stolen from my doorstep. The dvds were resent by the suppliers, but it is unfair that they have to lose out because of Royal Mail's incompetence.

I have phoned Royal Mail customer service line twice and complained, the last time I phoned, it happened again the next day.

It kind of makes me a bit reluctant to order box sets or large orders, that won't fit through the letter box.

Regardless whether it says Do Not Leave Outside on the packaging, common sense says that this is a bad idea, I think Royal Mail don't give a toss as long as they make a profit.

12. dts borg

dts borg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Do not safe drop means that the postman/woman should only leave a P739 Card letting you know that you were not in and your item is at your local Royal Mail Delivery office waiting for collection or redelivery.

If you are getting items left outside call 0845 7740740 Royal Mail Customer services.

Yes I do work for Royal Mail and do not have time for staff not doing their jobs as they should be :nono:

13. leapfrog

leapfrog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    This morning as I left for work I saw the postman down the road from my house, so I went back suspecting that he may have the Taken box set that I ordered from CD-WOW and that it would be too big to fit in my letterbox, so he'd leave it on my doorstep.

I went inside to make a cup of tea while I waited, heard the post drop through the letterbox, I went to retrieve it, opened my letters, then went to leave the house and sure enough my Taken set was sitting on my doorstep. The postman had not knocked the door to see if anyone was in, he never even left a card, nothing.

I'm sure if I had not turned back, I would never have seen the dvds and CD-WOW would have sent me a new set at their expense.

I have complained about this to Royal mail three times now, I have also asked the postman directly if he could not leave them outside, but we seem to get different postman from week to week, for what it's worth I will ring them and complain yet again.

It's a shame to see this still happening and it it seems we have no way of preventing it.

Any suggestions?

14. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    I don't think complaining makes much difference. I get quite a few different posties and they all do different things, all mentioned in this post. Some post them, some leave them on the step in clear view, some leave a card, and yes the most annoying, some leave them hanging by elastic band on the white UPVC door and you can see it from quite a way away. Amazingly I haven't yet had anything stolen, maybe as it's quite busy or just luck as my front door is only 20 feet from the main path. Some don't even bother to see if it fits through the letter box!

I also get them left on the step and then no bell or knock.

I forgot when they hang them on the handle and I open the door from inside the parcel falls off, CD's survive the drop on the marble but box sets dont :eek:

15. bradalax

bradalax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I had a set of £80 speakers left outside my back door the other day by ParcelForce. The really annoying thing was that is was a registered and tracked delivery as well. I saw a signature appear on the tracking website of someone I have never heard of.

When I got home there was nothing, no card. It was only chance that I went out the back door, (we don't really use it) and there was my parcel. The delivery guy had signed for it himself and dumped the package!

Unbelievable.

16. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    you could do what my mate does - he has certain "items" sent from Holland (can you guess what? ha ha - he loves multi angle dvds :D ) so he has them sent to his brothers house - only problem is his brother is a chief inspector !

gary

17. leapfrog

leapfrog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Another thing, I am sure some companies I have dealt with in the past have supplied a printed invoice in the parcel with my full credit card number printed, rather than have all but the last four digits crossed out as most seem to do now.

So not only do they get away with your dvds but also your personal information and credit card details, all thanks to some negligent postman.

18. dts borg

dts borg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8

Yes PostWatch It's a real shame that you have had so many problems. While some postmen like you have had don't seem to care about the business they work for many thousands do.
    Hope postwatch help put a stop to door stepping :lesson:

19. leapfrog

leapfrog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the link dts borg, I do sympathise with all the postman who take their job seriously and do a good job, sadly it only takes a few bad experiences to destroy your faith in what was once a very reliable service.

20. Bernard Barnett

Bernard Barnett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I suggest those of you who have had problems put a little notice by the letterbox saying please use a non-delivery card rather than dump the package or whatever. Quite likely he/she is just trying to save you a trip to the sorting office. Please don't complain about posties as most of them are very conscientious despite rubbish wages. And no I don't work for Royal Mail.

21. rectorydp

rectorydp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I suspect that in many cases the postman is indeed only trying to save you the effort of collecting from the sorting office. I have only had good experiences with our postmen. And since we moved to Shropshire, the service has been outstanding. Our postman has found packages left by courier companies at the doors of other properties (and by the postbox!) and brought them to the house.
    He has often returned at the end of his round to redeliver packages that are too big to fit through the letter box.

I think it is more difficult where the the postman changes more frequently (messages may not always be passed on) but I would have thought that most postmen would take notice of a sign that states that packages should not be left outside. Alternatively, consider getting an outside lockable post box that can take larger packages.

22. leapfrog

leapfrog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    As my previous post said I do sympathise with conscientious postmen. I don't believe for a second that they are trying to save us a trip to the sorting office, more likely they are trying to save time or save having to carry parcels through the rest of their
    route and back to the depot. I think a conscientious postman would at least knock or leave a card, as the postie who used to deliver to my street would do.

If we do not complain (to the relevant authorities, not just on forums) then nothing will change, it is us and the suppliers (who have to replace the non-delivered items) are the ones who suffer because somebody can't be bothered to do their job, regardless whether they are underpaid or overworked.

23. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    My wife saw a post office van driving about, heard a thump at the door - had a look outside and there was a box, my new air con dehydrator for £20 RRP £95.

At least the courier with the condenser knocked at the door.

I hope I can fit them this weekend - then regas and cool car

24. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    You should report that to Parcel Force. That must be a sackable offence (no pun intended).

25. partyweb

partyweb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529
    Do the suppliers lose out? I ask this as I generally find the odd rental dvd go missing. And when that happens my rental company (screenselect) send me a form to fill in where they are able to claim back from the post office for their loss

If this is the case with all the suppliers then it means it is the Post Office who lose out for their incompetent staff.

As a side note I live in a 'Road' that has a similar name to another place nearby ending in 'Lane' and from time to time my mail ends up at the same number house there even though we have different post codes and the local sorting office have assured me that both roads have different postmen. Just seems to me there is incompetence at many links in the post office chain :mad:

26. krish

krish
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,224
    My experience of postwatch has been utter dismay -
    I have been a victim of identity fraud (committed by employees/agency staff of the Royal Mail) and continuously have DVD packages etc left outside or delivered to the wring address and handed over by considerate neighbours - a third of which have been pinched
    - my complaint to postwatch received a derisory response to the effect that there was sweet FA they could do about it; I couldn't even force an apology out of the Royal F'ing Mail for being the origin of an identity fraud problem that has effected me in the long term!!
    - less serious is the loss of DVDs etc, since I get the supplier to resend at their expense; but several here seem to mention conscientious posties - that is just not the case here in Oxford!! No collection cards; oversise items forced through the letter box (with obvious damage) or if unsuccessful left sticking out of the box or on the doorstep for all to see and for some chav truants to steal during the day; if its not sloppy work practices then its stealing newly issued credit cards pre-delivery, or going on strike!! (they are such a bunch of ******s in Oxford!)

27. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    my regular postie is a gem :D mind you he is an av nut as well and we often discuss gear and dvds - he will only ever put things through my letterbox or leave with a neighbour :smashin:

i have put up a notice on my front door asking for parcels that do not fit through my letterbox to be left with neighbours and so far it has worked even with courier companies

but when my postie is 'off' things are not so good - so far no lost parcels but the other day the temp postie walked right across my front garden rather than use the path :mad: