Posting to Australia and US

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by njdbaxter, Aug 21, 2018.

Tags:
  1. njdbaxter

njdbaxter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +365
    Anyone have any experience posting abroad?

checking online it say you need to fill in a declaration form CN22, some sites say you need to print it off and attached it to the package using a transparent pouch. Other places say that they forms etc can actually be picked up from the post office. Supposedly you put the items description and value. Other sites mention putting a commodity number but i think this may only be for commercial businesses.

then on some forums people say that they never filled one in but were asked at post office what they were sending and its value, so I am thinking that because it was international that the post office worker must have attached one and that is why they asked what the item was and value.

do i just go in and they do it for me?

2. DOBLY

DOBLY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +668
    Yes - you can do it / it can be done as you pay for postage - this applies for small parcels / packages. If it is too big / heavy / valuable then you go through a different process - the counter staff will be able to advise you.

3. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,511
    This is going 10 years back but I sent an XBox 360 out to Australia - my sister in law (and family) emigrated, decided they wouldn’t take the XBox as they were over on their container load, thought they’d just buy one out there and then decided they wanted it after all.

I sent by courier, and had to complete a form describing what it was, value etc. Wasn’t too difficult and it arrived quickly and without a fuss.

Cheers,

Nigel

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
  4. outoftheknow

outoftheknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,578
    Was the fuss as requested on the form then? :rotfl:

5. YNWA1892

YNWA1892

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,238
    I've got two parcels being picked up today that are off to Australia, both are going via DHL.

All documents were printed off, the invoice (5 copies you have to sign) is attached to the side of the parcel and I just declared what was in the parcel and the value.

When I send smaller parcels I tend to go to the local post office and they stick a customs label on for me and you just tell them what is in the parcel and the value.

I also send a fair few to the US and it's the same method as above, fairly easy and straightforward although with the US I tend to put a lower value on the parcel as the customs limit is lower than Australia, I also always mark the parcels as gifts.