1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Posterize effect on Sky +

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by androidgb, Sep 22, 2002.

1. androidgb

androidgb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Sky+ box new in May this year has decided that I might like to view in Posterize effect, unfortunately I don't share it's enthusiasm for this effect.

I wonder if anyone else has had this effect or am I the only one honoured to receive it

[​IMG]

2. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,009
    at least you have a picture mine just keeps turning its self off.will not be able to get hold of any one until monday if im lucky.:confused:

3. HomeyJay

HomeyJay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I think this effect is called Solarisation. It's basically caused by lack of bandwidth at transmission. Some sky channels have it more than others because they are simply not allocated the bandwidth that they need.
    The other reason is that some sky progs are pretty bad quality anyway !!
    Anyway, it's not your equipment it Sky (as usual)

ravi

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

If it was SKY then all 6million plus direct subscribers would be seeing the same effect and since they are not it's reasonable to assume their is a problem with the tuner in androidgb's SKY+.
    I am making the assumption the effect is not seen on analogue terrestrial or pre recorded vcr/dvd material fed to the TV.

Never hesitate to get SKY out under warranty:)

5. androidgb

androidgb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, spot on Starburst, Sky engineer confirmed it was a faulty box and replaced under guarantee.

And Ravi I can assure you if this was normal for Sky pictures they wouldn't have many subscribers

:)

6. HomeyJay

HomeyJay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I can see this effect on some channels occasionally on my Toshiba plasma. I have been told by members on this forum, Sky and two sky engineers that it is caused by lack of bandwidth. There are various sky sites that also mention this problem. Some of my friends with 'normal' TV's have also seen this problem and have also been told by sky engineers that is caused by a lack of bandwidth.
    I guess we'll have to agree to disagree !!

ravi

7. androidgb

androidgb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ravi

I imagine it might be a question of degree, and my pic does not demonstrate it at it's worst. When it was at it's worst, there was clearly something wrong with either the TV or the Sky+ Box, and as the TV was working perfectly with a VCR and DVD it pointed to the Sky Box.

I'll look out for the effect you describe, are there any particular channels it's evident on?

8. Xeonic

Xeonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Personally I think any engineer or forum that says solarisation is due to lack of bandwidth really has lost the stick, nevermind got the wrong end of it :( Sky broadcasts are basically encoded in mpeg2, and with low bitrates what you will see is blockiness and lack of focus. Ever seen those low-quality "videophone" news broadcasts from field reporters?? That's a good example of low bitrate nastiness.

If you get effects like that from any channel, do as androidgb and check either tv,box,dish or cable.