Postal workers quite likely to strike

la gran siete

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
quelle surprise , not!
BBC NEWS | Business | Postal workers to vote on strike

Once again useless management think they can impose "modernisation' by dictat , lecturing staff into what they haver to do:rolleyes:as if they were recalcitrant children, seemingly never having heard of the word "consult".End result of modernisation? job cuts and the remaining staff having to work longer hours for the same money, invariably being told they have to complete a run in shorter time so they can start another.End result ? Poor delivery, not to say a seething resentment against idiots who should be given a pitchfork and thrown out into fields to do so e real work instead of pushing pens and dictating to others.I have no doubt these muppets have never known what its like to work at the coal face having walked straight out of uni into a cushy management position.Of course they presume to know how to motivate staff:rolleyes:

and because of it they have lost the 25 million a year amazon contract. Surely that means hundreds more postal workers will have to lose their jobs to make up for it, genius. :rolleyes:

edit - just to make it clear I'm not agreeing with LGS, I wasn't blaming the management (though they probably take some blame) The strikers are costing themselves more jobs and thus what they are doing is counter productive.

Last edited:
I have no doubt these muppets have never known what its like to work at the coal face having walked straight out of uni into a cushy management position.Of course they presume to know how to motivate staff:rolleyes:
Of course you could be TOTALLY wrong on that but don't let it change your views :)

RM needs modernising, just like any other business, and the sooner the workforce accept that the better for everyone. I'm not sure why they think they're so special.

Of course you could be TOTALLY wrong on that but don't let it change your views :)

RM needs modernising, just like any other business, and the sooner the workforce accept that the better for everyone. I'm not sure why they think they're so special.

Just in a better ransom position I suppose than other industries. I know somebody who works for the royal mail, he didn't want to go out on strike last time but had to otherwise he'd be outcast by those workers that wanted to strike.

I was a bit dismayed when I visited my local Tesco's last night and noted they had installed some new self service tills. This has no doubt lost a few jobs in an area that needs them, didn't see any pickets though or calls for strike action.

the union concerned recognised the post office needs modernising.That wasnt the issue. It was the lack of consultation and the ham fisted attempt at bulldozing by the management which has led to this dispute:lesson:.
They dont believe themselves special, any more than any pother working group does, but by taking this lead perhaps it might force management to change the way it does things and not try to scapegoat the workforce by blaming them for its shortcomings.

I heard somebody on the radio say that in about 50 years or less people will look back at letters and letterboxes and laugh out loud.

post is mostly junk these days with most companies trying to get paperless billing. Parcel delivery though is going to be important for a hell of a long time in fact getting even more important as more shoping moves to the internet and the system we have at the moment is stupidly inefficent not that I have a great solution though.

One concern is that if RM are not careful they may find themselves going the way of the miners in the 80s....:eek:

Competition and consumer choice is rife in this day and age and rightly or wrongly I think RM workers may well end up shooting themselves int he foot in the long term. :(

I heard somebody on the radio say that in about 50 years or less people will look back at letters and letterboxes and laugh out loud.

Precisely. but in the meantime I think the only option is a significant increase the cost of posting letters. That way you'll receive less junk mail, it'll encourage the banks, electricity and water suppliers etc to transfer all their billing to online services, it'll make the whole business more sustainable.

Unfortunately, as usually happens, the industrial action will only make the problem worse. It'll have a negative effect on pubic confidence (which is already low) and lead to a slower and significantly more problematic transition to modernisation.

Perhaps it's time that post office workers started living in the real world - and not in a world where you could win a car for simply being bothered to turn up to work every day for a whole year. :rolleyes:

the union concerned recognised the post office needs modernising.That wasnt the issue. It was the lack of consultation and the ham fisted attempt at bulldozing by the management which has led to this dispute:lesson:.
They dont believe themselves special, any more than any pother working group does, but by taking this lead perhaps it might force management to change the way it does things and not try to scapegoat the workforce by blaming them for its shortcomings.

Ahh the lack of consultation to deploy changes agreed in 2007 and signed by the very same union officials that are calling this strike.

An agreement that has been deployed in most areas of the country (except London).

An agreement that paid upfront over 5% pay increase to adopt these new ways of working (working your full hours and being flexible when workload is low) that most other people have to do anyway.

Yes, I can see how the Union have a very strong case for strike action:suicide:

For me they've got to have a serious look into their pricing structure. It's a wonderfully straightforward system that you pay one price to send a letter anywhere in the country but it don't add up does it. As Jack Dee once said in one of his shows when people complain about the price of postage going up "You try and get it their for 38p" :)

I think they've become very uncompetitive on parcel deliveries in particular, especially on guaranteed 48 hour or faster deliveries.

A useful read :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8260701.stm

Last edited:
why should they consult just inform the union what you want to do and if the workers don't like it they are in breach of contract and can be fired. and bring in workers who will do what they want there are lots of people who are out of work who would willingly do it

They will be signing their own death warrant.

Any serious strike, and the government will open them up to full competition.

They won't be allowed to hold the country to randsom.

Even the current labour government will have little choice, because if the do let them strike and do nothing about it, it will only hasten their own demise.

Labour are in enough of a pickle at the moment and don't need to be seen to revert back to type by letting the Unions hold sway. Public anger would be equally directed at them as much as at the PO and the unions.

Some day (probably when its too late) they'll realise that everytime they strike, they lose a little bit of their monopoly in the mail system.

Personally i would rather they had waited till the Tory government, then gone out all hell for leather in conjuction with other unions ,have a general strike and bring down the Tories once and for all .Mobilise the foot "soldiers", shop stewards and union leaders- this is class "war"

Last edited:
This is 2009, not 1979; time for a reality check :)

Personally i would rather they had waited till the Tory government, then gone out all hell for leather in conjuction with other unions ,have a general strike and bring down the Tories once and for all .Mobilise the foot "soldiers", shop stewards and union leaders- this is class "war"

:rotfl: Brilliant :rolleyes:

why should they consult just inform the union what you want to do and if the workers don't like it they are in breach of contract and can be fired. and bring in workers who will do what they want there are lots of people who are out of work who would willingly do it

+1 - agreed

do they think that they have the public support ?

Precisely. but in the meantime I think the only option is a significant increase the cost of posting letters. That way you'll receive less junk mail, it'll encourage the banks, electricity and water suppliers etc to transfer all their billing to online services, it'll make the whole business more sustainable.
But what about us smaller companies who also use quite a bit of mail. I'd love to use less if I could but I need to post things out to my customers. It's not easy for us to just swallow extra postal charges.

These postal strikes seriously affect my business and my cashflow, sometimes to the point where I don't have enough to take wages.

i think the post office is just signing up to it's own demise as its going the way of coal mining.

but the management have got a lot to do with them going this way,i thought if you didn't reach or make your target you didn't get a bonus but in the post office you do.

also with parcel farce sorry force how is it that i can use a very cheap courier service then it still gets picked up and deliveried by parcel force go figure and they wonder why they can't make much profit if any

Poor delivery, not to say a seething resentment against idiots who should be given a pitchfork and thrown out into fields to do so e real work instead of pushing pens and dictating to others.I have no doubt these muppets have never known what its like to work at the coal face having walked straight out of uni into a cushy management position.Of course they presume to know how to motivate staff:rolleyes:
Yes because school leavers and graduates automatically walk into cushy middle management jobs. Nothing less would be acceptable of course.

How is that chip on your shoulder?

I wonder what CEO Adam Crozier thinks of all this and whether it'll have any affect on the millions he rakes in on pay and bonuses year after year:rolleyes:

why should they consult

A consultation agreement has likely been negotiated.

just inform the union what you want to do and if the workers don't like it they are in breach of contract and can be fired

Management simply imposing their will is likely to breach just about every agreement previously negotiated and ratified.

This is not conducive to good industrial relations.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom