Question Post your smaller hifi rooms . Looking for ideas

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Higibuilder, Jul 13, 2018 at 10:18 PM.

1. Higibuilder

Higibuilder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Looking to try use a small bedroom and turn it into a 2 Chanel only listening room .

What have you guys managed to do with a small space .
    Looking for inspiration.

2. Higibuilder

Higibuilder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Dimensions are 12.3 by 9.5ft

3. the little audio company

the little audio company
    Previously davidf AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +675
  4. Higibuilder

Higibuilder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Hi no sorry I have a viva audio system already . Just wanting to see what people have done with small rooms . Or room layout and acoustics etc .

5. the little audio company

the little audio company
    Previously davidf AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +675
    Understood :)

6. Higibuilder

Higibuilder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
  7. Paul7777x

Paul7777x

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +534
    Ha! I like that.

Simple. One function. And built for that function only.

How it should be done.

Though strictly speaking I’d have some double heavy wool curtains up too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. dogfonos

dogfonos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +244
    Yes, nice if you can have it but an unobtainable luxury for many of us, I suspect.

I've used my speakers in a room exactly the size mentioned (home office, perfect rectangle with quite a bit of furnishings and carpeted). Sounds very nice though a tad warm. Speakers are neutral two-ways with 6.5" bass/mid drivers and ported. I'd be looking at single 5" or 6" bass/mid drivers in each cabinet in a room that size. No pics I'm afraid.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018 at 7:49 PM
  9. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,873
    You might want to check out this thread. It is not necessarily about small systems in small rooms, but it does give you a chance to check out a variety of systems.

Whats your system?

Generally you scale the system to the room. 12.3ft x 9.5ft is not that large, but a good bookshelf/stand-mount system should do well in that room. As dogfonos points out, bookshelf/stand-mount speakers with 5" up to 6.5" drivers would probably work best, and 6.5" driver can have reasonably deep bass. Even 5", 5.25" can have pretty decent perceived bass.

As far as Room Acoustics, it should probably have some. Though how far you want to take it is up to you. I have to assume the system in on the 9.5ft wall playing into the longer space. I would try some type of diffuser on the wall farthest from the Speakers, and probably 4 Acoustic Panels or Acoustic Foam on the walls at the side First Reflections point and on the wall farthest from the speakers.

Bass Acoustics are much harder to deal with. To some extend it can be moderated with Room EQ, but I try to avoid relying to heavily on that. Room EQ can make a good room better, but it can't make a bad room good. Typically to control bass, it takes some pretty deep acoustic panels and they are impractical in a small room.

Higibuilder's
    photo illustrates nicely what can be done in a small room. Corner traps which both absorb and moderate bass, and what look like roughly 3" or 4" panels on the side walls.

Here is an older post, though not all of the links still work, but it does give a pretty fair overview of Room Acoustics.

Primer: Acoustics - Absorption & Diffusion

I think Higibuilder's photo does nicely illustrate what can be done in a small room and at the same time not detract from the appearance of the room significantly.

If you are fairly handy and have some basic tools, it is not that hard to build your own Acoustic Panels. You will find hundreds of video on YouTube on how to do this.

There are even videos on YouTube dealing specifically with Small Room Acoustics.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018 at 11:29 PM
  10. Higibuilder

Higibuilder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Thanks guys looking forward to this project and may look into some nice bookshelf speakers . My viva audio solista will power most speakers I’m
    Sure and as it’s a valve amp I was thinking of some kind of fancy horn speaker possibly even snell

11. Higibuilder

Higibuilder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    F705FAE5-BD6C-4EAE-ADDF-2AC9F821E498.jpeg 70B2C262-B450-473A-A754-EBAA438D21CD.jpeg Funny you should mention bass traps Steve . Just starting to build them now . Will be ten in total wall and ceiling mounted . This is the only floor mounted bass trap for front centre between the corner traps I’m making . Just need to sand down and stain . One down 9 to go

12. dogfonos

dogfonos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +244
    I know little about recent horn loaded speakers but from past experience, I seem to remember them being pretty large, even the folded types I've seen may be too large. Are there horn loaded speakers that produce decent bass depth and will fit in a small room?

13. Higibuilder

Higibuilder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    That’s what I’m hopeing .

14. dogfonos

dogfonos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +244
    Like loudspeakers of every type, horn-loaded designs follow the rules of physics. Sure, there are some tricks a manufacturer can use to apparently defy physics and squeeze an impressive bass performance out of a small-ish box, e.g.:

Kii Audio ::: kii_three
    Barefoot Sound » MicroMain27

...but these designs aren't horn-loaded and they're not passive because, IMO, there isn't much scope for such trickery when it comes to passive horn-loaded designs (caveat: I've seen small horn speakers featuring minute drive units with limited power handling). I hope I'm wrong but I don't believe an adequate bass performance (say -3db @ 50 to 55Hz anechoic) is achievable with a horn design that will comfortably fit in that room and play at a decent volume.

You could compromise. There are speakers with mid and treble horns coupled with reflex-loaded or sealed-box bass. They could be reasonably compact.

15. Jampot90

Jampot90

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    If you enjoy DIY (evidently if the acoustic panel is any indication) check out 'frugal horns'.

Jim

16. Higibuilder

Higibuilder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Hi yes do lobe making stuff . Hence the turntable from scratch and now the panels . Have heard a lot of good things about certain horn projects .