1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Post processing of DVD-A/ SACD? and which Amp?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Burton, May 19, 2004.

1. Burton

Burton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Considering getting the Dennon A11 dvd player and new Amp, but I am looking to understand what, if any post processing can be done via different Amps for DVD-A and SACD
    i.e. is there a way to turn 5.1 into 7.1 with something like prologic IIx?

Amps that are being considered for audition (price vs performance) range from Denon 3805, Denon A1SRA, Arcam 300 and new HK 7300 (US ref) (when it arrives). Arcam is likely to be the one to beat from initial reviews as my preference is 60:40 in favour of music, but it does not appear to have a IEE 1394 port. This feature will not be the deciding factor but may influence the decision depending on what it can offer.

I know DVD-A/ SACD is processed and bass managed by the dvd player and goes in direct to the 6 channels on the Amp with no post processing, but can the Denon Amps for example do the processing/ post processing if the signal is passed through Denon's I-Link and turn DVD-A/ SACD into 7.1?

If it can I would have to wait for the A11 to get Denon's 3 edition I-Link firmware/ hardware upgrade to send SACD anyway.