post office scale scam

Sleepy

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Before i go to the post office to send a parcel i check the weight on some kitchen scales to get an idea of the cost.

I have been a bit suspicious that they have rigged the scales because It always ends up being slightly over at the post office so that you have to pay for the next price bracket.

So Today i decided to make a note what my parcel weighs (just under 500g) on my scales and on the post office scales 539g

has anyone else noticed this at their local post office and is there anything that can be done about it?

Before i go to the post office to send a parcel i check the weight on some kitchen scales to get an idea of the cost.

I have been a bit suspicious that they have rigged the scales because It always ends up being slightly over at the post office so that you have to pay for the next price bracket.

So Today i decided to make a note what my parcel weighs (just under 500g) on my scales and on the post office scales 539g

has anyone else noticed this at their local post office and is there anything that can be done about it?

...........and when, may I ask, were your scales last calibrated?

Next time you go take a 500g weight with you and stick it on the scale, see what it says for itself :D

That always happens to me - but I assume it's my crap kitchen scales and then being a little over the top with Sellotape! But Would love someone to test them with a weight!!

put the marker on 0 and then reset it.

So you haven't had it calibrated then?
I'm not trying to be awkward, but if you are comparing your set of scales to another and are indicating that the other is wrong, you need to be absolutely sure yours are in perfect working order. I'm afraid you would have great difficulty in doing that.

Buy a bag of sugar, take it home and weigh it.. you never know the supermarket may be adding extra to the bag to compensate for your post office losses ;)

Yes you need to weigh something that is a known weight on your scales, like a bag of sugar. Saying that I am always suspicious of airport luggage scales abroad. I remember one holiday my bag was heavier coming home even though I had used loads of toiletries, sun creams and left behind magazines I took with me.

So you haven't had it calibrated then?
I'm not trying to be awkward, but if you are comparing your set of scales to another and are indicating that the other is wrong, you need to be absolutely sure yours are in perfect working order. I'm afraid you would have great difficulty in doing that.

I have checked with a 400g can of Heinz Tomato soup.
Come out just a little over (because of the weight of the can)

Coins are a set weight, get 20 2p coins which should weigh 7.12g each and weight them on your scale. If it's not 142-143g your scales are out.

Just done the coin test and it is showing 163g

so my scales are out by 20g
The post office scales are out by 59g

Last edited:
watch out, because the "new" 2 p coins are made of steel now (check em with a magnet). Don't know if they are heavier or lighter than the old ones though?

The best thing to do is get your scales independently calibrated by weights + measures (trading standards), this is what the PO will have to have done every so often.

Though i'm guessing your non-professional kitchen scales will quickly start giving iffy readings again.

Weighing equipment in use for trade - Trading Standards Institute

Fwiw I check stuff too, on a set of weight watchers digital scales and they're always within a few grams of the two different PO's I use.

You can't do it like that as kitchen scales won't be linear. You need to weigh 500g of coins to get even close to deciding whether they are accurate or not.

I can save you the bother though, they won't be :)

You need to do a series of test weights, try 40x2p coins, then try perhaps 80x2p coins. (by the way 2x1p coins weight the same as 1x2p coin)
By the way this is NOT calibrating your scales, this will just tell you how poor your scales are.
You will NOT be able to calibrate the scales.

Every post office have test Wieghts provided by the company that calibrates the scales for Post Office LTD. just ask the clerk if he or she can check the scales for you.

All post offices are audited very VERY strictly and the auditors check the scales with both the post offices weights and thier own.

Also if the office in question was trying to scam you they would have to reverse the postage stamps through the system then print a new one out, Post office ltd would pick up on it fairly quickly and investigated it and prolly pressed charges against the postmaster/clerk

your best bet is go to 1 post office, ask them to weigh it, make a note of weight, then go to your post office and see if they get same weight, theres a hefty fine by weights and measures if they do find shops with faulty scales

I have checked with a 400g can of Heinz Tomato soup.
Come out just a little over (because of the weight of the can)
Should weigh 453g. ;)

Last edited:
Who really is bothered about this, what are we talking, pennies?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom