Post Audyssey With Marantz SR8015 ..

Southsider21

Established Member
Reaction score
I usually do my own speaker setup with Radio Shack meter & mostly happy with it, so today I tried the Audyssey feature & not happy at all . Lost the bass from speakers. The volume I have to turn up to 70db to enjoy pre Audyssey . It's a total mess the life got sucked out of my system
I followed the on screen direction on the Audyssey.
My system
Marantz SR8015
GoldenEar Triton Ones front , Triton XL center & TritonTwos Rear

Simply turn off Audysssey if you think that it is detrimental. You don't have to leave the associayed room EQ correction filtering in operation once the calibration is complete and you can go into the Audyssey settings and turn Audyssey off.

The levels, distances and the bass management have nothing to do with Audyssey. These elements will remain in place even if you turn Audyssey off, but they can all be manually modified by the user.

I'd suggest you simply turn Audyssey off and then use your SPL meter to take measurements and tweak the levels set by the auto calibration.

I'd not recommend overriding the distance settings with measurements taken with a tape measure though. These setting are not in fact distance measurements and are attained by the AV receiver timing how long it took the test tone to reach the calibratiuon mic. You cannot measure time delays using a taoe measure.

You can manually set the speaker sizes and you'd ordinarilly be recommended to set the speakers as all being SMALL anyway. After doing so then you'd also be suggested to set the associated crossovers no lower than 80Hz. If the AV receiver arrived at a crossover setting higher than this then you'd be recommended not to set it below where the AV receiver set it.

Last edited:
Too much bass sound like you not having manually changed the speakers to small and set a crossover of 80hz. Also ensure you have not engaged LFE+Main in the subwoofer set up. You only need to have LFE as +Main can and often does result of bloated bass.

Too much bass sound like you not having manually changed the speakers to small and set a crossover of 80hz. Also ensure you have not engaged LFE+Main in the subwoofer set up. You only need to have LFE as +Main can and often does result of bloated bass.
No subwoofers in my setup I guess you're not fimiliar with GE Triton Ones

Even if using speakers incorporating side mounted bass drivers, you'd be recommended to still include at least one active sub within a home theatre setup.

OK, I Get It But My Speakers Really Are LARGE!​

For some, your main speakers may actually extend down to 30Hz or lower, especially if they include 10” or 12” side-firing low frequency drivers. The temptation will be to set these speakers to LARGE. The setting is there so there must be a place for its use, right? Actually, we usually recommend setting almost all speakers to SMALL, even if they are physically large floorstanding speakers. Here’s why: Even though those floorstanders have a low extension, they won’t necessarily go down to the lowest range of your subwoofer as linearly and free of compression (unless your main speakers have more piston area and box volume than your sub – but we won’t address that here) The problem with the LARGE setting is: the ultra low frequency information will not be heard if the speaker cannot reproduce it. Well if by some chance you were able to get your main speakers bass extension flat down to 20Hz, then adding the subwoofer on top of that would yield too much (up to 6dB) of bass output at the frequencies both are producing. Hence integration between the loudspeakers and subwoofer will be poor and the bass may be overpowering, sloppy and/or boomy.

As a practical example, my reference system has a pair of RBH Sound 1266-LSEs which extend down to 32Hz. I have them set to SMALL and I set my crossover frequency to 60Hz. Because of this, the subwoofer handles everything up to 60Hz that would otherwise go to my front speakers. The front speakers are now freed up to concentrate on only 60Hz and up. The result is no lost information, less distortion, more headroom and a better overall sound.

Alternatively, you can bi-amp your large tower speakers where the mid/tweet section gets connected to the receiver front main speaker level outputs which will be set to SMALL and you can connect the bass drivers to a separate powered amplifier to the sub output of your AV receiver. This will allow you to effectively treat them as powered subs which are now bass managed with your other powered subs in the system. However, this type of setup is more complex and you really need measurement tools and know-how to properly setup a multi-sub system to get the benefits that these type of systems offer.

Even if using speakers incorporating side mounted bass drivers, you'd be recommended to still include at lwast one active sub within a home theatre setup.

I will do as you suggested today I got some free time

Does the speaker's own integrated active sub allow you to bypass its own crossover and connect the AV receiver's sub pre out to said bass drivers and associated integrated ampligication?

If not then you'd still more than likely be better of using an additional active sub for multichannel surround sound. THis would allow you to fiune tune the bass management and not be dependant upon what the receiver is outputting to the speakers and the speakers own crossover arrangement. There's also the fact that you can then locate the sub where it would give the best bass response in that particular room. If using the stereo speakers to portray all of the lower end frequencies then you have to locate them relative to your primary listening location.

Does the speakers own integrated active sub allow you to bypass its own crossover and connect the AV receiver's sub pre out to said bass drivers and associated integrated ampligication?
yes it does. Don't have the proper cables right now & distance is a major issue with the cables at hand.

I'd try that then. This way you'd be able to use the AV receiver own bass management as opposed to outputting full range audio to the front left and right speakers.

There's plenty of stuff to try and experiment with :)

I'd try that then. This way you'd be able to use the AV receiver own bass management as opposed to outputting full range audio to the front left and right speakers.

There's plenty of stuff to try and experiment with :)
Screen Shot 2021-10-16 at 12.35.04 PM.png

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom