Question Possibly upgrading my Pioneer amp, suggestions please!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Taz69, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Taz69

Taz69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +357
    Hi all!

I currently have a Pioneer SC-LX77 amp and although it’s working fine I’m wondering if to change it to something that will accept 4K HDR, HLG etc and give me Dolby Atmos and DTS:X.

My sources are as follows:

Sky Q 2TB
    Sony UBPX800
    Apple TV3
    Surface Pro 2 via HDMI
    Sometimes I may bring in the Xbox One X.

My budget isn’t huge but the amp will need to have HDCP2.2 and HDMI 2.0 at least, the more the better.

I’ve been to Sevenoaks and one of the suggestions were the Sony STR-DN1080 at £498 as that would marry up CEC wise with my new Sony KD55XE8596 4K TV and hopefully stop the errors with handshake etc.

It has been suggested that maybe I use an optical cable from the TV to the amp and feed the 4K items to the TV separately, trouble is with that is I have other items in my amp like Apple TV and a Surface Pro for BTSport app.

I have been offered a Denon X4200 which appears to tick the boxes but I’m not sure of any further firmware updates as it’s already 2 years old, approx cost £500

Then there’s the Denon X2400 available new for £399 but it’s lacking on HDMI outputs but again my concern with outputs is that my TV is 4K but my projector and my bedroom TV are 720p and 1080p and currently hooked up to the Pioneer and the bedroom TV is on HDZone

I will be selling the Pioneer to offset some of the cost of the change.

My speakers are Monitor Audio, BX5 and BX centre with Mordant Short Bi-polar rears.
    Atmos speakers yet to be decided on.

Thanks in advance.

2. Taz69

Taz69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +357
    Bump!!

3. Rambles

Rambles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,122
    Hello. I was reluctant to respond to your thread originally, but seeing as you bumped it, I thought I'd chip in with my opinions.

Your Pioneer SC-LX77 looks to be a higher tier receiver than the ones that you are looking at to replace it, presuming these are the right specifications for it:

SC-77 - 9.2 Channel Multi-Zone, Networked, Class D3 AV Receiver

The AVR's that will match this are likely to be more expenisve, at the very least the Denon X4x00, Marantz SR701x, but even the Denon X6x00, and 7200 would be on a par.

If you go for the Sony STR-DN1080 or a Denon X2400 that would be a downgrade in quality and power. The Denon X4200 is more on a par, but it is 2 or 3 years old now, and with your 4K TV you would need to check wether it will be able to pass through all the 4K / HDR content that you might want it to, for now and in the future.

The current AVR's that are more of a match to your Pioneer SC-LX77 are in the £1500 to £2000 price range. Best deal at the moment, if there is still stock, would be the outgoing Marantz SR7011, which could be had for around £900, discounted from £1500.

4. Taz69

Taz69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +357
    Yeah I understand about my Pioneer being a far higher spec than what I’m looking at replacing it with, I’m not in a position at the moment to spend a stack of cash on a similar spec amp even though I’d love to!

My theory behind the “downgrade” is that it would give me 4K switching and Dolby Atmos, DTS:X as and when I could add the Atmos speakers.

I’m looking to add an Apple TV 4K at some stage and trying to work out how to get sound from it unless it will go upto the TV in DD5.1 and come back down the optical cable from the TV.

I might give that a whirl and see how it pans out.

Thanks

5. Taz69

Taz69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +357
    Any ideas on How does a Yamaha RX-A1060 compared to any of the above or even my Pioneer? Thanks

6. Taz69

Taz69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +357
    Any tips on the 1060?

7. buzz_lightclick

buzz_lightclick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +387
    3060 would be more comparable and probably slightly better than your Pioneer.
    Plus it would give the 4k, DTS X and Atmos support you are looking for.