1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Possibly to view 1080i in fullscreen from a HTPC?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by "47", Jan 29, 2005.

1. "47"

"47"

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi!

I wonder if it's possibly to get a fullscreen from a HTPC with a 1080i signal to a 37PF9986?

I've read so much about how you can't get a full screen from your computer through the DVI. But if you set your graphic card to 1080i (I can on my 5200FX), would you not get the picture in fullscreen (no black borders)?

As I understand PP2 should also work. I've read that the PP2 dosen't work if you have a 720p signal.

2. Skiny

Skiny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Doesn't the 37PF9986 have a res of 1366x768?

3. "47"

"47"

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes it have but apperantly you can only display a 1280*768 picture from a computer, thats why you get the black borders.

The question is if you can loose the borders by choosing the 1080i resulotion on your the computer?

4. mickbarlow

mickbarlow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    1280x720 is what you want i think for a true downscale from 1080i to 720p

though you will get black borders as you say.

5. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13

I think what you are saying is possible. Send a 720p signal over DVI and the TV doesn't upscale to 768. But send a 1080i signal and the TV, I would have thought, should downscale to 768. I thought I saw someone on this board try this on their 32" Philips.

But there again, it's whether a downscaled 1080 or normal 720 looks better.

Richie.

6. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    IMO it does not make sense to feed a higher resolution signal into the display if it's native resolution doesn't support it as you else inevitably end up with some scaling and an interlaced picture may look worst than a progressive one, even the latter has a lower resolution.
    (I think the general consensus is that a 720p picture looks better than a 1080i picture.)

Wouldn't this depend on the resolution you feed into the VGA input, i.e. being dependent on your graphics card driver?

You won't have any borders if the display scales the picture to it's native resolution (considering the aspect ratio however) or has a native resolution of 1080 lines, not limited to computers but any source I guess.

7. "47"

"47"

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But when you have a 1080i signal from your computer you have two advantages.

1. You can use PixelPlus2 with the interlaced signal wich you can't on the proggresive signal. That would be nice.

2. You will get a real 16:9 fullscreen. When you use max resulotion with the computer the res is 1280*768. Thats not 16:9 and you get the black borders.

I don't have the 37PF9986 yet but I think it works this way.

8. Vulgar Fraction

Vulgar Fraction

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone actually know if this is possible with the 37PF9986?
    The borders have really put me off making the purchase.
    Thanks