1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Possibly to simple a question - but what is the best 37 to 42" LCD ?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by dUnKle, Oct 24, 2005.

1. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,492
    Brother of friend looking at getting one and not sure what to go for

up to £2500 to spend - up to 42" in size

Will be used for a lot of football via Sky

I belive the 26" Samsung seems to be highly rated - does this go up to 42" in size ?

Thanks

2. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    I'd say either the Sharp LC-37P50E if Standard definition is a priority. (eg if you won't have SkyHD, BluRay, HD-DVD, Xbox 360 or Playstation 3 for a few years)

If you want a HD Panel that does a good job with SD feeds, I'd get the Philips 37PF9830/10.

3. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    For that money, he could do no worse than look at the Loewe TVs - Sharp panels with their own electronics. Considered to be the best there is, with styling to boot.
    If size is more important, then Sony 40" V series or Samsung 40" for about £500 less. Both well under £2500.
    Finally, if he can hold off 4 months or so, then Benq will have their TVs in the UK at the same time Sky+ HD launches. 37" and 46" - the former can be had from European dealers now for around £1500, IIRC. The latter perhaps could be had for £2500, maybe £3000 tops?
    Those panels will be full HD resolution - 1920x1080 compared to 1366x768 for the others mentioned.

4. Rob Sheep

Rob Sheep
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not telling you to buy one but have a look at the Sony S series, and try it with a HDMI 720p scaled player, the V & W series are pants, too too much blur.

Or something by Toshiba...

5. televisionuser

televisionuser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Having seen the different lcds from different manufacturers time and time again, if you want the best go for the Lowe. It has the same panel as the Sharp and it also has the best exterior design that won't look dated in a few years.