• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Possibly stupid question about the lg 7600 series.

Stouffer

Standard Member
Ok, maybe I'm just being dumb and missing it, perhaps it isn't possible, but DNs settings question.

Trying to set up DNS on the tv to watch us netflix content. But I can only find one set. If I use them, I can access the us store, but can only watch content available on the uk on as well, otherwise I get an error.

The DNS settings are fine, they work on my ps3. But I cannot for the life of me find primary and secondary options on my tv.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jason Shouler

Established Member
DNS by it's very concept is a global system so it shouldn't make any difference what DNS servers you use.

If your intention is to access the US netflix site (overcoming any enforced licensing restrictions in the process) then what you need is a proxy server.

The idea is you get access to a proxy server based in the USA. When this server accesses netflix on your behalf then netflix will assume you are based in the USA too. Note here that if your LG doesn't support proxies then you'll need an external server of your own (and things get a little complex)

I'm not sure what might be available, or even if netflix can be fooled like this, but at least if gives you a start if you want to have a play :)

Stouffer

Standard Member
Errmmm, ok.

It definitely works anyway. As I said, fine on ps3, so not sure what you mean.

I just cannot find the option to set a primary and a secondary setting on the tv itself.

Jason Shouler

Established Member
If it works anyway then your TV (or ps3) has acquired the correct settings from your router via DHCP which means you don't need to do anything.

Your router in turn should acquire the correct settings from your ISP

Stouffer

Standard Member
But it doesn't work on the tv.

I have to say you're over complicating this. It's literally as simple as inputting new DNS settings. There are no changes to any other networking required, nothing router side at all.

But anyway, we are way off topic. All I need to know is, do the settings in the tv contain a primary and secondary DNS setting, or is it primary only?

Jason Shouler

Established Member
The easy answer is to set your TV for DHCP (often shown as "AUTO") as this will also select DNS.

If you're deliberately choosing to use 'manual' set-up - then you haven't explained why - but you certainly shouldn't need to if your network is properly configured.

I haven't got your set so can't comment if it's possible to change primary and secondary DNS within the network settings - although it's generally self evident once AUTO is disabled.

Stouffer

Standard Member
Because I prefer to keep my router setting vanilla. Using the DNS I am, it only affects the device it's set to. That way, I can have full speed connection on ps3 for gaming, and reduced due to DNS settings on the tv for the us content.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom